Feature Request: Improve security for stolen/robbed smartphones

Options
telephoneman2
telephoneman2
Community Member
edited February 21 in iOS

Hey Guys, I am thinking about the security of 1password. Sometimes when I use 1Password in public I am think - oh dear, I am using 1Password no - if someone grabs my phone out of my hands he has full access.
So following usecase: I open 1password app in public, e.g. in bus or train. A thief is grabbing my phone while it's unlocked with 1Password App and runs away. He has full access to the database and all the secret items. Or I accidentally drop while 1Password is unlocked and someone takes it.
Feature Request: 1Password should use the gyroscope sensor to monitor and detect phone drops on flor or "fast" movements of the device. When this is physical "signature movement" is detected, 1Password will lock the App automatically - so a thieve would not have access to the secrets.
Other options to improve security (if this is even possible): monitor connection to an Apple Watch or other smartwatch - when 1password is open and unlocked and the connection to that device gets lost during using 1Password unlocked, the App should automatically lock. So at least a thieve would need the master password or biometrics to unlock it again.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @telephoneman2! šŸ‘‹

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not a developer myself but my suspicion is that it would be very difficult, or even impossible, to make a reliable version of this sort of "theft detection". Even Apple themselves haven't added such a security feature to the iPhone itself.

If you're concerned that someone might take your phone in public and wish to protect yourself then I recommend the following:

1. Set 1Password to lock immediately on exiting the app: How to set 1Password to lock automatically
    2. Set your iPhone to lock in a shorter period of time: Keep the iPhone display on longer - Apple Support (CA)
    3. Only open and unlock the main 1Password app when you're in a safe place. If you need to fill or save a login in public then you can use AutoFill which will always require your account password or biometrics and won't keep 1Password unlocked: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

If your phone is ever stolen then you can follow our guide to secure your 1Password account: If your device was lost or stolen, and it has your 1Password data on it

I hope that helps! šŸ™‚

-Dave

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Dave, thanks a lot - but I know those options. But maybe this is something for the "labs" to play around with these kind of security options. (Track Apple Watch or track device acceleration) - perhaps pass the idea to product management? if they don't like, they can discard this idea. Acceleration tracking should be possible as games use these sensors as well, should just a matter of threshold (I think). Best, M

• @telephoneman2

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions, I've shared them with the team so that they can look into this further. šŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-38390371