Repeated session expiry errors

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Constant session expires tab popping up.

Comments

• joans
    joans
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here. 1Password extension v2.20.0 on Chrome. Signing out and in does not solve the issue. Can anyone confirm this is a known issue of the latest 1Password version?

• Trevor_1P
    edited February 16
    Options

Hi @joans 👋

I'm sorry that you're experiencing an issue with 1Password in Chrome where a new tab is opening saying your session has expired and requiring you to sign in. Our developers are currently investigating a few issues that may be related to what you're experiencing. To help us determine what's occurring in your case, could you confirm the following?

• Does your 1Password account have two-factor authentication enabled? If so, are you using Duo or Okta?
    • Do you have the desktop app installed?
    • In the "Security" section of the extension's settings, do you have "Automatically lock 1Password" toggled off?

Looking forward to your reply.

-Trevor

ref: dev/core/core#27669

• Raiver
    Raiver
    Community Member
    Options

I am also having this problem on Windows using Microsoft Edge. And it just started recently, maybe around a week ago. I have 1Password working in 2 Linux VMs and don't see the problem there. To answer your questions to the previous poster:

1. I do have two-factor authentication enabled using Google Authenticator on my phone.
    2. I do not have the desktop app installed.
    3. Automatically lock 1Password is off.

This is annoying because not only does it log me out, but it is constantly switching to the login page interrupting anything else I am doing at the time, even if I don't need to use 1Password. If I could at least disable that behavior, it would be more tolerable.

• @Raiver

Thank you for the reply. It sounds like you're running into a known issue that our developers are investigating. There are two ways to workaround the issue until a permanent fix is released:

1. Turn "Automatically lock 1Password" on when using 1Password in the browser.
    2. Install the desktop app. You can set your auto-lock preferences there using this guide: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

Our investigation has narrowed the issue down to a bug with how the auto-lock feature in the 1Password browser extension works, if the extension is set to never lock then authentication fails and a new tab with a sign in page is opened (as you've noted).

If you turn on auto-lock for the browser extension then the issue shouldn't occur. Alternatively, when the desktop app is installed authentication is handled by the desktop app and not the browser extension which avoids the issue as well.

Let me know if both workarounds don't work for you. We're hoping to release a permanent fix as soon as possible.

-Dave

• joans
    joans
    Community Member
    edited February 21
    Options

@Trevor_1P: thanks for replying.

• Yes, I have 2-factor authentication enabled (with a TOTP app, Google Authenticator).
    • Yes, I have the 1Password desktop app installed on Windows, but I disabled the "Integrate this extension with the desktop app" in the Chrome extension.
    • I have the "Automatically lock 1Password" option toggled off in the extension.

I also have the Chrome extension installed in Ubuntu. Same issue there (but of course there is no desktop app in that environment).

I will try the workarounds mentioned by @Dave_1P. Thanks.

• Raiver
    Raiver
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P: I installed the desktop application and now it is working, thanks!

• Dave_1P
    edited February 21
    Options

@joans

Thank you for those answers. Was there a reason why you turned off the "Integrate this extension with the desktop app" option? Turning that option on will allow the browser extension to communicate with the desktop app, this should workaround the issue. After turning the option on, restart your device.

Let me know if you still see the issue after turning the option on and restarting your device.

@Raiver

I'm happy that the workaround helps. 🙂

-Dave

• joans
    joans
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P : enabling the integration of the Chrome extension with the desktop app has apparently solved the issue, indeed (I had disabled that option simply because it causes a slight delay due to the need to start the desktop app at the start of the day, but I can live with that).

In the Ubuntu environment, I have swiched on the automatic lock setting to work around the issue.

• @joans

I'm happy that the workarounds provide a temporary solution for both devices. Hopefully a permanent fix is released in a future update soon.

Just a quick note: we do have a desktop app for Linux which you can download from our website. 🙂

-Dave