"Unable to create passkey" on PayPal

Options
tvandinter
tvandinter
Community Member
edited January 11 in Android

There were some updates to the PayPal app recently (8.54.2) and I noticed that it now tries to use third-party passkey managers (1PW). Unfortunately, trying to have it create a passkey in 1PW causes it to fail:

1Password Version: 8.10.24-30.BETA
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 14 (Jan 5 2024)
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @tvandinter,

This is an issue we have been able to reproduce on our end. We have an issue logged for this with our development team who are investigating the issue.

I hope this helps.

-- Brendan

ref: dev/core/core#26762

• nicos18
    nicos18
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @BrendanR1P,

Any progress on this?

Thanks.

• Hi @nicos18,

From checking on our end I can see this issue is still being investigated.

With that said, while it may not be ideal, I was able to create a passkey for Paypal on my own device via the Paypal website in my Chrome browser. Once the passkey was created via the Chrome browser, I was then able to sign in to the Paypal app using this passkey.

If you create the passkey via your web browser on the Paypal website, would you then be able to use this passkey to sign into the Paypal app on your device?

-- Brendan

• fernandog
    fernandog
    Community Member
    Options

@nicos18 , Chrome for mobile phone, right? beta or production? Do you need to enable any chrome://flags? At least Android 14 or IOS17, right?

• nicos18
    nicos18
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @BrendanR1P,

I tried to create a passkey via Chrome browser, but I wasn't able to select 1Password because I was prompted to save the passkey in my Google account.

I have an S23 with Android 14.

• BrendanR1P
    edited February 23
    Options

Hi @nicos18,

Currently by default Chrome and other Chromium based browsers doesn't appear to have Credential Management enabled by default. This would be required for third party password managers such as 1Password to allow you to sign in to websites using passkeys. This would likely be why you are being prompted to save the passkey to your Google account rather than 1Password.

While we would be unable to provide a timeframe for when Google will have this enabled by default, it's possible to enable Credential Management within the Flags feature of Chrome which should allow you to use 1Password to sign into websites with passkeys. Please note, enabling and disabling particular flags can potentially lead to instability within your web browser, please ensure only the changes mentioned below are made and if you encounter any stability issues after setting these flags, please set them back to default.

Enabling Credential Management flag in Chrome

1. Open Chrome, then type in chrome://flags into the address bar
    2. In the flags page which opens, tap the search box, then search for passkeys
    3. Tap Default under the Android Credential Management for passkeys flag, then tap Enable for Google Password Manager and 3rd party passkeys
    4. Click the Relaunch button that appears at the bottom of your browser

I hope this helps.

-- Brendan

• nicos18
    nicos18
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @BrendanR1P,

I was able to create a passkey for PayPal in Chrome browser by selecting the option "Enable for Google Password Manager and 3rd party passkeys".

Thanks.

• Hi @nicos18,

You're very welcome. Thanks for sharing this update. I'm glad to hear you were able to create a passkey for Paypal in Chrome.

-- Brendan

• IanPaulF
    IanPaulF
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to reproduce the bug and the workaround. I also had to select "Enable for Google Password Manager and 3rd party passkeys".

• Hi @IanPaulF,

Thanks for sharing that you also had to select "Enable for Google Password Manager and 3rd party passkeys" for this to work correctly.

I've updated the steps in my reply above to reflect this.

Thanks,

-- Brendan