Escape key no longer clears current search in desktop client

Options
esquared
esquared
Community Member
edited February 16 in Mac

It appears as if pressing the ESC key no longer clears the current search results. Instead, I now have to use the mouse to click on a tiny "X" icon, which is supremely less convenient.

Not sure when this started, but just noted today, on 1Password for Mac 8.10.26 - 81026038, on BETA channel.

Hopeful this is some beta-specific error, and can be rectified in short order.

1Password Version: 8.10.26 (beta)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS 14.3.1
Browser: n/a

Comments

• Hello @esquared! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry that you're not able to clear a search using esc from inside of the 1Password for Mac app when using the latest beta. I can't reproduce the issue using 8.10.26 on my Mac. Just to clarify, do you mean that pressing esc does not clear the search from this field:

If that's right then can you restart your Mac and then try to reproduce the issue again? Can you also confirm that the esc key is working inside of other apps?

-Dave

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    edited February 15
    Options

@Dave_1P - not exactly, though I think I now see a new-to-me feature that may have crept in and I missed it. The behavior I'm talking about is once I've searched for items, and presumably hit Enter to filter the list of items to those that match, I'll end up with something like this example here.

You'll note that my cursor is not in the search field at all.

Previously, when I pressed Escape, the current filter would be cleared, and I'd be back to seeing all the items. Now, Escape does nothing.

I also noted that I can now "backup" (or go forward) in my filtered view using browser-like "backward" and forward arrows. I can also use traditional browser shortcuts like ⌘-[ and ⌘-] (on macOS). Sure that's a workaround, but now I wonder: Why on earth would I want my 1Password desktop client to behave like a browser? It's not. Despite the Electron base. Is there a way to disable the entire history feature? It's not useful (to me).

Moreover, the addition of the history feature means that if I wanted to clear the search bar of any previous search, I can't simply type ⌘-F and clear that field. The tool won't allow me to filter on nothing (i.e. an empty string), which in my opinion means "show me everything".

Regardless of the history feature, can we please just have back the Escape behavior of previous versions?

• @esquared

Thanks for the reply. I installed an older version of 1Password 8 for Mac and I'm not seeing the esc button close the search there either. Do you remember the last time you used the esc key to close the search? And what version of 1Password were you using?

Is it possible that you were using the Find field rather than the Search? If you press Edit > Find and enter a term into the Find field, pressing the esc key does clear that.

Or were you using an older version of 1Password such as version 7?

I also noted that I can now "backup" (or go forward) in my filtered view using browser-like "backward" and forward arrows. I can also use traditional browser shortcuts like ⌘-[ and ⌘-] (on macOS). Sure that's a workaround, but now I wonder: Why on earth would I want my 1Password desktop client to behave like a browser? It's not. Despite the Electron base. Is there a way to disable the entire history feature? It's not useful (to me).

These are similar to the forward and back buttons in Finder. There isn't a way to turn the buttons off. The back and forward arrows have been part of the interface since the introduction of 1Password 8 for Mac almost two years ago: 1Password 8 for Mac is Now Available

Can you tell me a little more about why you'd like to turn the buttons off? Are they getting in the way when you're trying to perform a particular task?

Moreover, the addition of the history feature means that if I wanted to clear the search bar of any previous search, I can't simply type ⌘-F and clear that field.

If you press Command-F the search field is automatically highlighted and you can type any key to clear the previous search term and enter a new search term. Are you seeing different behaviour?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    edited February 16
    Options

@Dave_1P

I don't think I'm halucinating, but in fact have used Escape to clear the current filtered items since 1Password 8 was first released. As certain as I can be, I used it last month, or perhaps December, in that way. What older version of 1Password were you using, and can I pick what version I download and do my own testing?

No, I wasn't using 1Password 7.

No, I wasn't using the "Find" command - in fact, I never use Find, except when I'm trying to find an archived item. The fact that there are two separate searching methods has always baffled me. But that's a digression.

It's not that the arrows are "in the way", or the fact that the client behaves like a browser for no good reason, but that I have absolutely no interest in using the mouse if I can at all avoid it. Therefore, there have to be shortcuts and means to use only the keyboard. That existed before, again assuming I'm not hallucinating.

As for using Command-F to enter the search field again, that's great, and yeah, I can search for anything different, but I can't "unset" or "reset" the filtered view back to "no filter" without using the mouse.

• @esquared

Thanks for the reply. I tested 1Password for Mac 8.10.18 which was released in October 2023. We don't support, or recommend, downloading and using previous versions of 1Password.

I do see similar feedback from 2022 and it appears that clearing search using the esc key wasn't an option then either.

That being said, I'll get this passed along to the team so that they're aware that you'd like to see the ability to clear searches using the esc key. Thank you for the feedback. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#15555
    ref: PB-38392450

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, so apparently I've been hallucinating then. Thanks for checking up on this, and yes, please, adding such a feature would greatly improve my work flow, since I'm clearly conflating my use of 1Password with something else.

• Thank you again for the feedback. πŸ™‚

-Dave