Make "Lock 1Password and Pause Biometrics" option available via Shortcuts

Options
diegolinke
diegolinke
Community Member

Hi,

I would love to have the feature "Lock 1Password and Pause Biometrics", which today is available only deep in the App under Settings->Security menu, available via Shotcuts (iOS).

This would allow to create a button on the home screen, setup the new iPhone 15 action button to execute it and open a lot of possibilities with automation, such as "Arriving in the airport -> Lock 1P and Pause Biometrics" automatically.

Cheers,
Diego

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @diegolinke! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! I can pass that along to the team, can you tell me a little more about the specific threat that you're trying to protect against by turning off biometric unlock in certain circumstances?

While controlling 1Password's biometrics using a shortcut isn't available right now, you can temporarily turn off biometrics for your iPhone as a whole by pressing the iPhone's side button five times in a row. Biometrics will only be available again once you've unlocked your iPhone using your device passcode.

-Dave

ref: PB38406559

• diegolinke
    diegolinke
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,

Thank you VERY much for your answer.

Unfortunately, in my country, phone theft with a gun is very common, and the criminal asks for the iPhone's PIN before abandoning the victim.

Apple is implementing some additional controls (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212510), but unfortunately only with the PIN, Apple considers it an authenticated device, and with this it is possible to perform some tasks such as changing the iCloud password and in some versions of iOS even adding an extra finger in biometrics for example (I didn't test Face ID yet).

I would like just add another layer of security, specially when I traveling and easily (maybe in an automated way) disable Biometrics from my 1Password.

Diego

• @diegolinke

Thank you for those details! I can definitely understand your concern and I see how a shortcut of the type that you described would be useful to protect against that specific threat model. While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request on your behalf.

Enabling Stolen Device Protection for iOS is a great idea and I've done that for my device as well. I did also want to mention that 1Password will always require your account password if biometrics fail unless you've explicitly allowed your device passcode to unlock 1Password. And, if a thief does enroll a new face or fingerprint, then 1Password will automatically disable biometric unlock until you enter your account password again: About Face ID security in 1Password for iOS

-Dave

• diegolinke
    diegolinke
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I totally understand!
    I am just thinking how to add an extra layer against this specific threat model.

Thank you very much @Dave_1P

• Thank you again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave