Disable autocomplete on an input, when 1password chrome extension shows suggestions

Options
carpii
carpii
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Using Chrome and the 1Password extension, I'm increasingly seeing situations where both Chrome's form autocomplete and 1Password login items are shown in competing popups

They both overlap each other, making it very annoying to use....

The chrome popup is not necessarily showing saved Chrome passwords (although can be).

Sometimes Chrome is just showing a popup for form autocompletions, so even if you delete the first batch of them, it just keeps suggesting more and more, which overlaps 1Password suggestions.

I feel the 1Password extension is capable of setting the input to autocomplete="off" when its invoked, which would avoid the two popups overlapping (leaving only 1Password login items shown).

This would be such a great improvement

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.14.0
OS Version: Arch Linux
Browser: 116.0.5845.96 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Comments

• Hi there @carpii 👋

Apologies for the delay getting back to you! We typically recommend disabling the built-in autofill from browsers to avoid these conflicts: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Let me know if you give that a try or have any questions. 🙂

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @andrew.l_1P

I understand, but the issue is, its not Chromes password manager showing these suggestions (I already have saved passwords disabled)

Its pulling it from Chromes form autocomplete history (in this case, for the username input).
    This is a useful feature which Id prefer not to disable if possible

I was hoping 1Password extension could dynamically set autocomplete="off" when it focuses a text entry, which would prevent the competing popups

• Appreciate the clarification, @carpii !

I've shared this internally for further consideration. If you haven't already, I also recommend giving 1Password Identity items a try for filling non-login fields.

If there are particular websites or circumstances where this isn't working as expected for you, let me know and we'll be happy to troubleshoot!

ref: PB-36092926

• pinecone
    pinecone
    Community Member
    Options

This same issue is affecting me. Not Chrome passwords, but chrome's suggestions for the field are blocking the view of 1Password's suggestions. This is a poor experience.

I'm not sure I understand the comments above. @andrew.l_1P Are you saying the only remedy is to turn off Chrome's suggestions?

1Password's Identity is not a replacement for Chrome's auto suggestions. For things like addresses, email adressess, etc using Chrome's suggestions is easier and faster. The remedy suggested by @carpii seems perfect.

I'm surprised this issue was not seen in testing. What was the response when this was shared with the team?

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    Options

If there are particular websites or circumstances where this isn't working as expected for
    you, let me know and we'll be happy to troubleshoot!

I think I found the perfect example..
    Even the 1Password website does it, when logging in

Its showing Chrome form autocomplete suggestions, which overlap 1Password's login suggestions..

As you can see below, Chromes password manager is completely disabled..

And despite being disabled, my 1Password credentials are not stored in Chrome anyway...

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, is there any update on this issue? Its getting really bad now

If you need any further info, Im happy to provide it

Thanks

• @carpii

Thanks for the reply. My recommendation is that you turn off "Save and fill addresses" in Chrome and move all of your addresses to 1Password before removing them from Chrome. Chrome's page for configuring addresses is here:

• chrome://settings/addresses

The issue is occurring because you're using two different products that are doing the same thing: storing your addresses/identities and suggesting them where appropriate.

1Password's Identity is not a replacement for Chrome's auto suggestions. For things like addresses, email adressess, etc using Chrome's suggestions is easier and faster.

Can you tell me a little more about why you find Chrome's suggestions easier to use? I'd be happy to pass along your feedback to the team. 🙂

-Dave

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Appreciate the reply, but I feel like you are not understanding the issue fully

Please see the first screenshot I posted at the top of the thread (the VMWare login).

This is not chromes password manager conflicting with 1Password, it is chromes form auto-completion overlapping 1Password password suggestions.

Granted, chromes password manager does it also, but I have already disabled Chrome from saving passwords, and I only have a few passwords left in Chromes store

Thanks

• @carpii

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding the situation. The URL that I provided should take you to Chrome's address autocompletion screen which contain items that will be suggested in fields like an email field:

• chrome://settings/addresses

Just to clarify: if you turn "Save and fill addresses" off in Chrome and move all of the items under "Addresses" into 1Password before removing them from Chrome, do you still see conflicting suggestions from Chrome?

-Dave

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did still have Addresses being auto-filled by Chrome, which Ive now disabled and migrated to 1pass.

It's not clear whether this is the cause of it though...
    The conflicting entries overlapping 1Pass were unrelated to any of the fields stored in Chromes Addresses, they were just previous form inputs (things like search terms etc)

It appears Chrome provides no way to disable these form entries, other than deleting them regularly from "Clear Cache -> Advanced -> AutoFill Forms" (or if a sites markup prohibits it using autocomplete="off")

I'll do a bit more testing

Cheers
    Paul

• @carpii

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify: are you still seeing suggestions from Chrome after removing the addresses and turning "Save and fill addresses" off? If you are then can you post a new screenshot of what you're seeing on your device?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• carpii
    carpii
    Community Member
    edited February 23
    Options

Hi Dave,

The short answer is, I'm not sure.

I was using VMWare as my test case (first screenshot I posted in this thread)
    But I've since upgraded VMWare and they redesigned the UI which no longer has this issue

I also disabled chrome addresses as you suggest. Maybe that was the solution after all (even though the entries popping up were not address related, just random textbox input history)

I think it might be resolved as I havent noticed it on other sites since

Ill post here if it crops up again.
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Paul

• Hey @carpii, thanks for getting back to us. On behalf of Dave, you're welcome, I'm glad to hear that the issue is no longer happening. If it does happen up again, let us know. We're happy to help. 🙂

-Evon