Two yubikey 5ci - advice appreciated

Options
Sekkote
Sekkote
Community Member

Hi,
I purchased 2x yubico 5ci keys with the idea of using one in my laptop and one in my iPhone. Very costly but I figure this is the way forward.

I set up the first yubikey using a USB adapter to my windows laptop. All appears to be working ok, but it is pretty wobbly (likely a needing to purchase a far more sturdy one) and disconnects intermittently otherwise it is ok after a few teething issues. I have a password manager set up - keep pass 2 - on the laptop (windows 11). Pretty confusing but appears most secure. I have only used one account so far.

This is where I would appreciate any advice - I have not set up my 2nd key (5ci) which I would like to set up on my IPhone 11 (IOS 17.3.1) which I am using apples keychain for pw’s/logins. I would like to move my passwords/logins to a a secure pw manager on IOS.

I do not use my laptop as much as my phone but wondered if not setting them up together was a mistake and using using two different pw managers?
(If so I can reset the laptop key as there is minimal on there.)

Also, any advice on transferring ikeycloud pw’s/logins to a pw manager please? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Sekkote
    Sekkote
    Community Member
    Options

Safari used

• Hello @Sekkote! 👋

Thanks for reaching out! Are you already using 1Password on one of your devices? If you are then I would recommend installing 1Password on every device that you own rather than using a different password manager on each device. You can find installation instructions here: Get the 1Password apps

If you need to migrate passwords and other items to 1Password from another password manager then please follow the steps in our guide: Move your data from other applications to 1Password

And if you don't yet have a 1Password account then you can get started here: Get started with 1Password

Let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

-Dave

• Sekkote
    Sekkote
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply and guidance. I am not using 1password but plan to.

I have tried contacting yubico but no response. I feel it would be appropriate to use the two keys (I only set up one of the keys - fci model) on my windows laptop with a confusing pw manager which I will delete.

Is there anyway to wipe the current key set up and use it with my iPhone? By registering them both at the same time (one will be a spare). I’d like to keep my windows/laptop separate from my iPhone as I just do not use my laptop much - but happy to purchase a similar key (yubico usb for the laptop).

I hope this makes sense?

Kind regards

• @Sekkote

Thanks for the reply. I can help if you're having trouble using a security key with a 1Password account: Use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

General questions about YubiKeys, or using Yubikeys with other password managers, are best directed to Yubico or to the manufacturer of your device since they'll be in the best position to assist further:

Let me know if you have any other questions about 1Password and I would be happy to help further. 🙂

-Dave