Share Individual Items - Missing Feature?

Options
jpit
jpit
Community Member

I just made the switch for our team from LastPass to 1Password and I am beyond happy with the product being superior in almost every way.

One of the only features that seems to be missing that I anticipate being a headache for us is the ability to share individual items to specific people on our teams. I see that there is a way to share a temporary link to an item but no way to permanently share items and keep them in sync unless they are in a shared vault. I'm not mistaken on this, am I?

I just want to say that this would be a high priority feature request for us since we often have the need to share an item here or there with specific people. These items often would not make sense to create a whole vault just for one item with access for just one or a few people especially since each shared item would need its own set of access rights.

The way I would expect this feature to work would be to have a new vault show up when someone shares something with you individually. The vault would be called "Shared with me". Additionally, a new filter could be created that would show items I've "Shared with others".

Also, I realize I don't know how the code is designed for 1Password, but since there's already this capability with individual vaults, maybe one way to implement it would be this... When a person shares an individual item, a new "hidden" vault is automatically created for that one item behind the scenes. Then, the UI would just populate the items from all of those hidden vaults into the one special "Shared with me" vault.

I'd love to know if this type of feature is on the roadmap as it's the only thing I've seen so far that may be a somewhat major workflow issue for us.

1Password Version: 8.10.26
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @jpit! 👋

Welcome to 1Password! There are two ways to share an item using 1Password:

1. Secure item sharing: Allows you to share an individual item which is made available to a recipient for 30 days. The recipient can save that item to their Private vault to keep it forever if they wish. A shared item is a copy of the original item and isn't updated when you update the original item.
    2. Shared vaults: Allows you to share an item indefinitely with a group of other people or just a single person. Any updates made to the items in a shared vault are available to all members of that vault.

As you mentioned, 1Password uses a vault system where each vault is encrypted using its own cryptographic key. The design of vaults ensures that only those who have cryptographic access to a vault are able to access it and anyone who doesn't have access can only see encrypted gibberish.

That being said, your idea to create a hidden vault to facilitate the sharing of individual items is interesting and I've shared that idea with the team. For the time being, creating a shared vault is the best option.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave

ref: PB-38430227