No recommended logins on GrapheneOS

Options
mike616
mike616
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Android

I'm considering migrating from Bitwarden to 1Password. I am on a Google Pixel 5 running GrapheneOS. Autofill works correctly on all browsers with Bitwarden. However, 1Password doesn't seem to recognize any logins for any sites. I see the autofill suggestion to open 1Password but once I do, it doesn't show any recommended sites. I can manually search for a site and fill the creds in. If I select "Fill & Update Login", it adds the browser app as a linked app. Meaning that login will now be recommended for all sites in that browser, regardless of the domain.

It almost seems like 1Password can't tell I'm in a browser and thus doesn't try to match the domain names. I don't see many other people with this issue so I'm thinking it might be a GrapheneOS issue.

Is anyone else here using 1Password on GrapheneOS successfully?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android/GrapheneOS
Browser: Fennec/Brave/Vandadium/Mulch

Comments

• mike616
    mike616
    Community Member
    Options

It looks like a lot of other people on Android are having similar issues so this may not be a GrapheneOS issue.

• Hi @mike616, thanks for writing in.

1Password for Android can fill as expected in supported browsers. Supported browsers include: Brave, Chrome, DuckDuckGo, Edge, Firefox, Samsung Internet, and Vivaldi. In unsupported browsers, 1Password may not fill at all, or may treat the browser as a non-browser app.

So, if you're using a browser such as Fennec, Vanadium, or Mulch, it would be expected behavior that Autofill isn't fully available. Additionally, we've heard some reports that Autofill in Brave may not work as expected without Google Play Services. From what we've seen this does not seem to be specific to 1Password.

While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I'd be happy to share your interest in support for a browser/s with the team. If you'd like to include any personal insights regarding your preference for that browser/s, I can pass that along with the feature request as well.

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing from you!

• softtea2976
    softtea2976
    Community Member
    Options

I was searching the community to figure out why 1password was treating Vanadium as a non-browser and found this post. Thanks @ag_timothy for the clear answer.

May I ask why is there work needed on 1password's side to add support for other autofill-compatible browsers? Is it because 1password keeps a list of allowed browsers where URL-based suggestion works? And if so, is it for the 1password team to verify that the browser can be trusted?

• Hi @softtea2976, thanks for your question.

The short answer is that a browser which otherwise supports Autofill or Autofill compatibility would need to be added to 1Password for Android's KnownBrowsers list. However, this is not as simple as flipping a switch, and requires other steps such as vetting the developer, their app, and their security and privacy policies. Additionally, adding more browsers to the list means more time in testing, and quality assurance.

That said, none of this is insurmountable, or explicitly excludes certain browsers from being added, but it does mean we evaluate each new addition carefully.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

• softtea2976
    softtea2976
    Community Member
    edited February 27
    Options

Sorry for insisting in the same topic again, but is there any chance you'd consider adding support for Vanadium? Or maybe Mulch or Chromite?

Only Chromium based, non WebView browsers have strong per-site process isolation, so I don't want to use browsers that are not Chromium based (like Firefox) or that are WebView browsers (like DuckDuckGo). Brave autofill is broken in GrapheneOS because of their reliance on Google Play Services and GrapheneOS's sandboxed Google Play Services implementation.

This means I can't find a single open-source chromium-based, non-webview browser I can use with 1password in GrapheneOS.