Hide Vaults for Family Plan

Options
mskopel01
mskopel01
Community Member

I have a Family Plan subscription with two vaults. As the administrator I have access to both vaults but I have no need to see the second vault. Each time I open 1Password I am shown logins, documents etc. from both vaults. Because we have separate accounts at similar websites when I ask 1Password to show my logins, I am presented with both options and often 1Password defaults to showing my logins from the second vault.

Is there a way for me to hide contents of the second vault or set my vault as the default so I see only my information?

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @mskopel01

I'd recommend you take a look at Collections, if you haven't already. You could make a collection containing only the vault you want and 1Password will keep everything within that scope while that collection is active.

Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

Give that a try and let me know how you get on. I'll be here if you need further help. :)

— Grey

• mskopel01
    mskopel01
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Grey, it did not occur to me that Collections is what I was looking for.

• @mskopel01 – You're welcome! :)

• mskopel01
    mskopel01
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Grey,

Actually I am still seeing logins from the other Vault in our Family. I have checked the Collection settings and only my vault is selected. Should this be the case?

Thanks,
    Michael

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited February 20
    Options

The desktop app is different to the browser extension and also different to the website 1password.com.
    Only the desktop app knows and recognizes collections.
    The browser extension doesn't know about collections and has its own selection for vault visibility.
    The website 1password.com neither knows about collections nor has it a function to show/hide vaults. It only has a "all vaults" or a "this vault only" view.

As workaround for a family account, you as family organizer can edit the permissions of the vault you don't want to see and remove yourself from the viewing permission. It appears as if this vault doesn't exist for you any more. Since you're the family organizer, you can add yourself again later, in case you need access again. However, this isn't working for the default hardcoded "shared" vault, because this vault doesn't have the ability for editing permissions.

• Hello again @mskopel01,

Thanks @Tertius3 for the follow up here.

Actually I am still seeing logins from the other Vault in our Family. I have checked the Collection settings and only my vault is selected. Should this be the case?

This should not be the case. Can you confirm that you are currently using the 1Password client app and you have this newly created collection selected in the sidebar or from the accounts icon? If the collection is selected you should see only the vault(s) you've included in the collection.

If you have an account selected, click account/all accounts at the top of the side and select the collection you created.

If you still seeing troubles, To help me better understand the situation I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply. When sending a screenshot, please be sure to redact any personal or private information.:

I'm looking forward to your reply.

• mskopel01
    mskopel01
    Community Member
    Options

Hello ag_mike_d,

I have confirmed that the collection I created is selected on my Mac and iPad. I've attached a screen shot from my Mac to confirm I understand what I should be doing.

If I go directly to a URL (rather than via 1Password) then click the 1Password icon in the username field on either my Mac or iPad, I am seeing logins from both vaults. According to what you have said, I should see the login from the vault in the collection. I really thought it was working when I created the vault yesterday. I am not sure what happened.

I am using 1Password for Mac 8.10.26 and ver 8.10.24 on my iPad.

Thanks,
    Michael

• ag_tommy
    edited February 22
    Options

@mskopel01

Do the logins exist in only one vault? Make sure they are not duplicates. Check the collection to ensure you've not ticked the add new vaults. It wasn't clear when you took the screenshot.

Also, 1Password in the browser uses a different approach right-click on 1Password in the browsers toolbar icon and select settings. Select the Accounts tab. Deselect any unwanted vaults.

• mskopel01
    mskopel01
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps I misunderstand how collections should work.

The Family account has two vaults. Both vaults have a login to the same website, just different login names and passwords. For example, both vaults have a login to 1password.community but the login names and passwords are different. It was my understanding that if I have a collection that contains only one of those vaults, then I should only see one login to 1password.community. Right now I am seeing both logins. Do I misunderstand how this should work?

Thanks.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 27
    Options

@mskopel01

Assuming you are using/viewing the collection then yes that is how it should work. For example, I have family logins to sites we use. If I set the collection to Mine which is vaults I frequently interact with then those are the logins displayed inside 1Password for Mac. 1Password in the browser does not use collections and you must disable the individual vaults to avoid those logins etc from being shown.

Collection using 1Password for Mac. Set 1Password to view only items in the collection. Only two items are shown the rest of my testing items are within another vault which is not part of the collection.

If I view the full account you can see all the items.

In this example I have one login for the community in my personal vault and only one is suggested in the the community because I have disabled the other vault.

Here the collection inside 1Password for Mac is only using the same Personal vault, thus only one login is shown.

On the login page for the community only a single login is offered up because the other vault is disabled.

If I have all of my vaults enabled in the browser:

I hope this helps.

• mskopel01
    mskopel01
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed response, it really helped me to understand what I was seeing and how best to use collections.

• You're welcome. Keep any questions you've got coming. We'll be glad to help.