Ignore 2FA code inputs?

Options
siplhium
siplhium
Community Member
edited February 20 in 1Password in the Browser

Shouldn't 1password be ignoring 2FA code inputs that don't use one-time passwords; e.g., sites that only pass 2FA codes by text or email? Every time I have to use on of these sites, I have to press Escape to tell1Password to get out of the way and not provide suggestions. It's not as if the purpose of the input is obscured. Here's one where the html is :

Both the name and id make it perfectly clear this is for 2FA; can't be 1Password be made just a little smarter so users don't have have to keep pressing Escape?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @siplhium,

I'm unable to see the example you have shared. Can you point us at the page or share a screenshot so we can take a closer look?

Thank you!

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles , Sorry, I don't know it didn't come through the first time. Here's a screenshot of what the browser displays, and the relevant html in the inspector. I hope this makes my question clear now.

• Thank you for getting back to me @siplhium, is 1Password appearing when it shouldn't be if you focus on the enter code field?

If so, does it say 'No items to show' or is it trying to fill the wrong information?

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles It's offering a list of choices to use to fill it in. As if it were a legitimate input for it to fill in. I don't know for sure what heuristics 1Password uses to decide what offer fill in or offer. But part of this must include input names, I'm guessing: "name", "first_name", 'email", "phone", etc. If this is the case, then something like "twofactorcode" ought to be enough to tell it stay silent. And it does this for any site that does 2FA via email or text, as opposed to one-time passwords.

• Hey @siplhium, thank you for your reply.

You previously mentioned:

Shouldn't 1password be ignoring 2FA code inputs that don't use one-time passwords

Currently, there isn't a way for 1Password in the browser to ignore specific inputs in fields on a website. I apologize for any interruption in your workflow caused by this and I completely understand, as I've ran into other websites with the same situation. Personally, I've been able to press the ESC key (just like you mentioned) on my keyboard to quickly dismiss the Inline menu (suggestions menu).

That being said, I hear your feedback and have shared your request to add an option to avoid showing suggestions for fields if it's not in your Login item for specific websites with our product team.

Furthermore, based on what you shared for that field, it sounds like it's suggesting items from your Identity item since it's not showing "No items to show", is that correct?

If so, I'd like to take a closer look at the page structure. I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can help you.

With your email please include:

1. Navigate to the page exhibiting the behaviour.
    2. Right-click the problematic field (the 2FA field) and select 1Password > Help > Collect Page Structure.
    3. 1Password will save a .json file to your "Downloads" folder.
    4. Attach the file in your email.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I’ll be able to locate your message and make sure it’s gotten to the right place.

We look forward to assisting you further.

-Evon

ref: 38406102

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    edited February 28
    Options

@EvonG1P Correct; I rarely, if ever, have seen "No items to show". I will send the page structure to you. Question: if 1P can't be made to ignore certain inputs, how does it know how to fill in fields for, say, various credit card-related fields, phone numbers, etc.? It must be looking at something; labels, input names...?

Your support ticket ID is GCU-56433-236.

• @siplhium, thank you! I've located your support ticket and we will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

You mentioned:

if 1P can't be made to ignore certain inputs, how does it know how to fill in fields for, say, various credit card-related fields, phone numbers, etc.? It must be looking at something; labels, input names...?

The 1Password browser extension collects a bunch of details about the page, for example, unique element attributes, for every field and sends it over to the background 1Password helper process. Then, the details that are collected get processed by our form filling that we call 'brain'. The brain has all the logic about how to fill pages. Once the processing is complete, it generates instructions on which values from the Login item to autofill in which fields of the page.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

-Evon

ref: GCU-56433-236