Signing in with a passkey to the Sony website

Options
gord
gord
Community Member
edited February 29 in 1Password in the Browser

Okay, so Sony announce passkey support, figured I would use 1password to do that.

I set that up via the browser extension on my computer.

Later i want to log into my playstation, the app on my phone has a popup about signing in. cool. I click that, the app isn't signed in anymore.

the app can't sign in because it doesn't have the passkey (it's in my 1password? it needs my computer to sign in? what's the point of 1password here)

I now can't sign in on my phone at all because the 1password browser extension can't scan the QR code the app generates on the phone.

What am i missing here? this seems so much worse than just using a password

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: linux
Browser: firefox

Comments

• Hello @gord! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when using a passkey. Just to clarify: are you trying to use a passkey to sign into your Sony/Playstation account? Or are you trying out our passkey unlock beta where you're able to use a passkey to unlock 1Password itself?

Can you also clarify if you're using an iPhone or Android phone? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• gord
    gord
    Community Member
    Options

I'm trying to sign into the playstation app using 1password with a passkey

but also, I gave up. I turned off the passkey on the sony website on my laptop. Then set up the passkey on the phone thinking that 1password would handle that.

but although everything seemed to go fine, as soon as i tried signing in 1password claimed to have no passkeys for sony on my phone, so i was just locked out of the account entirely as there was one passkey setup on my sony account, but 1password wouldn't do anything to log me in.

now i've recovered my sony account and i'll just use regular passwords forever because this was crazy.

• gord
    gord
    Community Member
    Options

the remaining problem is that i can't remove the passcode inside the 1password login entry for sony, there's no option to remove it.

• PixlRunner
    PixlRunner
    Community Member
    Options

I had exactly the same issue.

Although, I'm not stuck with the passkey after I disabled it on the account after recovering my account.

To do this (on the website 1pass app), I clicked edit, then next to the passkey I tapped the β›” symbol.

I still have the issue where I can't set up passkeys on my Sony account as it seems it only wants to work on a single device - which is no good when I have a laptop, phone and console.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member
    Options

This seems like a complete dumpster fire by Sony, and password managers in general with regards to passkeys.

I was planning on setting Sony passkey up myself, but I’m staying well clear until it’s improved all round.

• gord
    gord
    Community Member
    Options

To do this (on the website 1pass app), I clicked edit, then next to the passkey I tapped the β›” symbol.

if only life was so easy :) I don't have the β›” symbol next to the passkey field, like i do for most fields. Username, Passkey and Password all miss the β›” symbol. which likely makes sense to stop people deleting their only auth but in my situation i guess it'll sit there forever unless i make a brand new login

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I also ran into the issue that I needed to confirm a login on the PlayStation via the iOS App and I was logged out there after enabling a passkey. However, I was able to log in (in the iOS App) using the passkey stored in 1Password, via the iOS/1Password system integration for passkeys (so no browser or browser extension involved).

On what system did you generate the passkey? Maybe that wasn't synchronised to the iOS device yet?

• gord
    gord
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using firefox on linux and android, was hoping that 1password would have handled the passkey syncing between it all, apparently not

• @gord

Thanks for the reply. You can remove the passkey, if you've already removed it from Sony's website, by using the 1Password app on either Linux or Android. If you haven't yet installed the app then you can find it here:

Once installed, select your Login item for Sony and then select Edit. You can then remove the passkey by selecting β›” and then Save.

If you'd like to try to save a passkey for Sony again then please let me know and I can help further.

-Dave