Using 1Password 8 on OSX 10.13.6

Options
bfind
bfind
Community Member
edited March 4 in Mac

Pleased to see your improvements and such to 1password app. Would love to see support for legacy OS (OSX 10.13.6), as my main computer is running an old software version, and it will never be 'upgraded'. My family's computers and phones and my windows machine are all current, but my Mac is not feeling the love.

'Why not upgrade'? It is my business and creative suite on this computer that works exactly as I want it. 'Upgrading' is a form of forced obsolescence that I refuse to play along with. If 1password insists on not supporting legacy software (understandable, as it would take a teeny bit of time to compile a binary for legacy machines), then by default your service becomes less and less usefull to me - as you 'upgrade' yourselves out of functionality.

A good example of this is 1password 6 - perfectly functional, yet no longer available.

1Password Version: 7.9.11
Extension Version: 2.20.2
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @bfind! 👋

Thank you for reaching out! 1Password 8 requires macOS Catalina 10.15 or later so you're correct that you wouldn't be able to use 1Password 8 on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6. 1Password currently supports the last five major releases of macOS from macOS Catalina to macOS Sonoma.

macOS High Sierra hasn't been updated for over three years by Apple and is no longer supported. Most importantly, it is missing many important security updates that have been released since the last update in 2020 that protect users from critical security issues that are being exploited in the wild.

I know that certain older Macs can be running well but not be eligible for updates from Apple anymore and the decision to upgrade to a new Mac isn't one that everyone can make. That being said, as a security company our primary focus is on making sure that we always tailor our advice in order to keep people who use 1Password safe. In general I recommend staying up to date with the latest version of macOS so that you remain protected against security vulnerabilities that could put you at risk.

If you have an older Mac that can no longer be updated to the latest version of macOS then it might be time to begin to think about upgrading. I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer to share.

-Dave