Problems with 1P unlocking

Options

I started a thread some time ago and sent the following bot:
Here is the BOT answer

[#XPT-11322-655]

I was told my data had been found and the thread closed and I would be hearing back directly via email: Silence.

In the meantime I have continued to struggle with the problem and seem to have learned that the problem lies in the way the web icon behaves when there is an update in the works for my PC.

To be a little more precise, I am on the nightly version. If I log into 1P on the web but at the same time somewhere in the background a new version of 1P is downloading, no indication is shown to the user. As a result, and this has happened several times to me, I have selected a favorite and started the log in process. The first part completes but then 1P locks and the password is never entered. The reason 1P locks is simple: the update has completed in the background and so 1P requires a new log in.

To get round this problem of 1P not indicating via the web icon that an update is being downloaded and installed I now religiously sign into 1P in the morning via the desk top app and force the update if I find it is not already in process. Only when it has successfully completed will I then sign back in using the desktop and wait the 30 seconds or so that it takes for the browser icon to react.

Unless 1P can assure me that they understand and have changed the way the update works I will have to leave the nightly system and retreat either to Beta or the permanent version.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I know this will probably not help you directly, since it's unknown what happens for you, but on my system I don't have any issue with updating since some months ago.
    I'm using the nightly desktop app and the nightly browser extension on Chrome.
    If there is an update pending for Chrome, the browser extension continues to work for me.

I turned off automatic installation of the nightly desktop app, because it got on my nerves with its daily updates. And if I declined to start the already downloaded installer, the next day the update often hang and I had to forcefully terminate 1Password, then restart it, then unlock, then it updated to the yesterday version, then unlock again, then update to the today version, then unlock again.

So my solution is to not automatically update nightly but instead probably every other day to time check for updates, then update. It's not required to update every day - I only do it if I'm curious if there are visible changes or glitches I expect to go away.

Using Windows 11, and instead of shutting it down at the evening and booting up in the morning, I send it hibernating.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Interesting observations. I have a pretty old laptop with Windows 10, (can't run W11 but, frankly, I do not miss it).

I may well follow your idea of switching off the automatic updates.

I do turn my pc off at nights, it seems to prefer re-booting regularly. I also, periodically, wipe my PC clean and do a complete re-installation. It is a habit I got into some years ago when a technician advised me to do a clean installation every six months to clean out all the junk which downloads over time. That I do not do. It smacks too much of masochism!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Andrew42

Thank you for reaching out. I see that my colleague offered some steps in the ticket that you shared and that you followed those steps and said that you'd let us know if the issue still occurs. I don't see another reply after that.

Since I don't have access to the logs that you've shared over email from the public forum I recommend that you continue the conversation over email in your support ticket. If you reply to my colleague's last email, sent on January 31st, then the team would be happy to continue to help. It would be helpful if you could attach a new console log to your new email since there have been a few updates since January and the logging might have changed. For your privacy, please don't post the console log to the forum.

If you don't see the email from my colleague then check your spam/junk folder in case it landed there. The team is looking forward to hearing from you so that we can investigate this issue further. 🙂

-Dave

ref: XPT-11322-655

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    edited March 7
    Options

@Dave_1P. The reason I started this new thread is that do not recall ever receiving anything beyond the email that said my data had been received. I have a Rule that puts all 1P emails (Out and Back) into a specific Outlook folder. My system is far from perfect as my laptop is over 10 years old and sometimes has a mind of its own!
    I think that my problem is connected to the nightly update and the fact that the web icon never indicates if an update is ongoing in the back ground.
    To try and isolate my problem, I have followed @Tertius3 recommendation and temporarily, at least for now, have discontinued the automatic updates. If my problems disappear I will revert from Nightly to Beta updates and also let you know.
    Let's give it time for a pattern to show itself.