To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can’t login to my.1password.com on IOS browser

Options
kjahn
kjahn
Community Member
edited February 29 in Memberships

Hi, I am about to add some family members to my account and before telling them what to do I am trying things myself. I can manage my trusted devices from my Mac 1Password account, but when I try to do this in the IOS 1P app I cannot find the devices. Assuming that this may require a login to my.1password.com I tried to login via IOS Safari and also Firefox. In both cases this fails when the authenticator code is entered. “Incorrect authentication code. Make sure your device has the correct date and time.” I tried the authenticator on iPad and Android phone with the same result. What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 17.3.1
Browser: Safari, Firefox

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@kjhan

The principal reason a 2FA code doesn't work is that your computer's time is slightly off. 2FA codes are generated by your device using the current time, and they change about every thirty seconds. If your computer clock drifts/differs from the server, a wrong code will be generated. Another way to put it is with the clocks on your computer, and the server differs, and a mismatch in the 2FA codes occurs, resulting in an inability to log in.

I would check and make sure the time is set correctly on your device. Does it automatically update itself? If not, try enabling automatic updating. I like to use https://time.is to check my device time. Nowadays, most all devices set their time automatically. However, hiccups still happen. I have had to toggle my "Set time automatically" settings from On > Off > On.

Also, giving your device a restart may help alleviate any transient issues. The last few users that I helped with this reported that a restart solved their issue. Please be sure to give that a go.

--

If the above is not fruitful I've had a couple of folks report this was helpful to them.

1. Turn off automatic setting of the time on the device.
    2. Restart the device.
    3. Enable the feature again.
    4. Check the code for proper operation.
  • kjahn
    kjahn
    Community Member
    Options

I tried these steps several times without success. time.is shows my iPad’s time is out by 0.09 sec before the reboot and 0.24 sec after it. Still no success. (Can provide screen copies if needed for proof.) The automatic time zone setting shows a permanently spinning wheel though, which has been reported by other people as well. However it shows the correct time zone when I turn the automatic setting off.
    I found the device management feature in the iPad 1P app though, which makes this failing login less of an issue. I wouldn’t want to be stuck with being able to manage my trusted devices only from exactly on of these devices - the Mac, and then having the whole family depending on this single path to recovery - Just trying to dream up the worst case scenario.

• ag_tommy
    Options

The automatic time zone setting shows a permanently spinning wheel though, which has been reported by other people as well. However it shows the correct time zone when I turn the automatic setting off.

This could indicate that the feature to set the time is having some sort of trouble. Once you turn it off, restart and then back on do you notice the spinner? Because the authenticator app is not part of 1Password I'd recommend reaching out to whichever developer makes the app you use.

• kjahn
    kjahn
    Community Member
    Options

I checked the time setting again after several hours, it now shows the correct time zone while still being set on “automatic”. So it seems to come good eventually. Re. The authentication app - Authy - I am getting the same 6 digit code on my iPad as well as on the Android phone. The common denominator for rejecting this seems to be 1Password, or not?

• kjahn
    kjahn
    Community Member
    Options

P.S. The Authy app on the Mac agrees as well with the code - they all synchronize perfectly.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@kjahn

You'll want to disable the feature and re-enable it. I've made countless turn-on/off tests this week, and there have been no issues. It could be an issue on our side, but I have seen no record of that, and I have been handling the bulk of 2FA questions from users.

Email us if you have no access, and we'll do our best to help. Please email using 'support+forum@1password.com`. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

Note: If you are part of a family account, recovery from your organizer would be faster. Recovery disables 2FA during the process. That would be my first recommendation.

🚑 Recover accounts for family or team members

• If you email in please include your user name and a link to this discussion so we can connect the dots.

• kjahn and https://1password.community/discussion/144683/can-t-login-to-my-1password-com-on-ios-browser#latest

• kjahn
    kjahn
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried the login again with the same result. I will raise a support case later today.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Sounds good.