1password Passkeys not working in iOS Safari

Options
Rediwed
Rediwed
Community Member

Hi all,

Passkeys have been out there for some time now, and I thought it’d be time to put the effort in to understanding how they work and setting them up for compatible websites.

Unfortunately, I’ve found that I’m not able to create new passkeys from Safari iOS nor log into websites where I already have a passkey set-up in 1password. When I try logging in with passkeys, if the button even shows up at all, I only get the option to use a QR-code and log in from another device or use a hardware key. The 1password passkey dialog modal is just not showing up at all? When I try the same service but now log in into their app, suddenly passkeys work just fine.

Is there a known issue with 1Password passkeys and Safari iOS? Or does this issue have more to do with Safari than 1password?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.10.26
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: 17.3.1
Browser: Safari ios

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Rediwed! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble saving and signing in using passkeys on your iOS device. As a first step, I would like you to make sure that you have turned on iOS AutoFill to work with 1Password:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys.
    4. Select 1Password.

Then try to save a passkey again using this guide: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

If that still doesn't work then are you unable to save and sign in with passkeys on multiple websites? Or just a specific website? Is that website listed in our passkeys directory: Passkeys.directory

-Dave

• Rediwed
    Rediwed
    Community Member
    edited March 4
    Options

Hi Dave, thanks for your answer! Yes, it's set to default to 1P and I am using it specifically on websites that support Passkeys.

One example is Coinbase. I can login with the Passkeys in the Coinbase app, but not in the website via Safari.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Rediwed

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a Coinbase account myself and I'd like to see if this is an issue with all websites or just some. Can you tell me if you're able to save and sign in using a passkey in Safari on iOS using this demo website:

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Rediwed
    Rediwed
    Community Member
    edited March 7
    Options

Not sure what changed, but suddenly I am indeed able to login with a passkey on Safari iOS into Coinbase. I thought it had to do with having to fully relaunch Safari or something, but that didn’t help.

Regarding your suggestion. Creating passkeys on the demo site goes just fine, no problem there! However, when I try logging back in it doesn’t appear to ‘recognize’ that there’s a passkey available. Instead I get the screenshot below. So the underlying issue is still here, but it’s just now always showing up?

This time the options is different from what I’ve seen before, I’ve also gotten this option sometimes:

Now, on my Android phone I actually have a different issue. But let’s try to solve this one first :)

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Rediwed

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy that passkeys are working on Coinbase now.

Regarding the issue on the demo site, our developers are investigating a delay that can occur after saving a passkey before you're able to use that passkey to sign in. Can you open the main 1Password app from the home screen of your iOS device, wait a few moments, and then try to sign in to the demo site in Safari again?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26752

• Rediwed
    Rediwed
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm, yep indeed. It’s working now on the demo site as well. Might have been that delay issue. I think it’s indefinite delay as long as you don’t open the 1p app itself though. Thanks!

• Rediwed
    Rediwed
    Community Member
    Options

Regarding that Android issue. I will test some more before I get back to you. It might have to do with that my default webbrowser currently doesn’t support passkeys, and therefore passkeys are not accepted in some apps depending on which method they use to log in..

• Rediwed
    Rediwed
    Community Member
    Options

Though do have one quick question left: how to I scan QR-codes from devices on which I don’t have 1password installed? I.e. when I want to log in on a device that doesn’t have my 1password account on it. With icloud and google you can then scan a QR-code, but I don’t see that option in the 1password app?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Rediwed

Thanks for confirming that signing in to the Passage demo is now working. I've added your report to the internal work item that we have open for the delay issue.

how to I scan QR-codes from devices on which I don’t have 1password installed?

You can use the Camera app from your mobile device. For example, on iOS open the Camera app and frame the QR code. You'll see a yellow button to "Sign in with a passkey" appear, tap on that and 1Password will open to allow you to sign in using your passkey from your iOS device.

Regarding that Android issue. I will test some more before I get back to you. I

The team and I would be happy to help with Android issues as well. When you're ready you can click here to create a new topic in the Android category.

-Dave