"New Item" disabled for member of our team

Options

I am supporting a member of our 1Password Team account (remotely). She had forgotten her password, so I did an account recovery for her. After getting her logged in, the New Item button is disabled. She can see all of the vaults we have in the company, and has the Private vault selected.

Apparently has been having issues for 6 months and never resolved them. One clue was that when she did the initial log-in (which asks for the URL and secret key) the URL and username displayed was to personal 1password, not our company URL. (We corrected it and got her logged in). While she doesn't use 1Password except for work, she may have set up a personal account trial. I saw a support ticket from 2017 indicating that that might cause this symptom. Also, when we started, she had the version 7 macOS app installed, now upgraded. In the end, she's successfully logged in to the version 8 macOS app, and all looks fine from the outside.

The company account is in good standing (not frozen) and we have not received any email or notification I am aware of.

I assume there's a known cause? If so can you point me to step-by-step instructions I might have her try? If not, can you help me with some diagnostics?

Version of 1p and Chrome extension downloaded today 2/29/2024, not sure of exact version of macOS or Chrome.

Thanks!!

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @Tom Harrison

That sounds like 1Password on her Mac might be showing the behaviour caused by a known issue shown over in this thread:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/705963/#Comment_705963

If turning off tags in the sidebar helps, that would confirm it, but if not, let me know and we can look into it further. :)

— Grey

• Tom Harrison
    Tom Harrison
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P --

Thanks for your reply!

I looked at the issue you linked, and removed a number of spurious tags from our account. But in a careful reading, it appears the issue reported there was related to not being able to add more tags.

However...

My co-worker's issue is she cannot to add new login items. The normally blue "New Item" button in the upper right of the Mac app is disabled/grey. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I think this is a different issue.

In any case, I have asked her confirm a number of basic things (not running old version, only the company account listed, etc.), so maybe that will resolve. But if there are known issues that cause the disabled "New Item" button you know of, that would be great.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Tom Harrison

Did turning off tags in the sidebar help with this? Removing unneeded tags won't necessarily stop this specific issue, but disabling tags might.

Use the sidebar in 1Password # Customize the sidebar

It can be a variety of buttons in 1Password which become unresponsive because of this issue, so it might still be this issue considering it's the New Item button affected.

• Tom Harrison
    Tom Harrison
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P Hard to know what worked (my contact at work tried many things) and I just deleted some tags ... but whatever it was, she's back in business.

Thanks for your help!

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Tom Harrison

Glad to hear things are working as they should be. We'll be here if you need anything. :)