Feature request: Adding an optional additional PIN for the iPhone app with Face ID

Options
mjudman
mjudman
Community Member

Entering my nice long passphrase on the iPhone app is a pain but I feel nervous using just Face ID. (I know, perhaps too paranoid/crazy.) I think it would be great if there was an option to add a numeric PIN on top of the Face ID.

Thankis.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @mjudman! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! Can you tell me a little more about the threat that you're trying to protect against? Face ID, by default, is very secure and 1Password adds additional protections to increase that security even further. You can read more here:

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• mjudman
    mjudman
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I'm thinking of the scenario of some evil-doer unlocking my phone by simply holding it up to my face. I admit, an unlikely event in a mugging or whatever, since I'm not a famous person or someone with national secrets. Perhaps what has me feeling nervous is the ease with which Face ID works, giving potential access to the "family jewels." I know, perhaps silly.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@mjudman

Thanks for the reply. Even if someone was able to steal your iPhone and unlock the iPhone itself they would then need to find the 1Password app and unlock it separately. You can have 1Password lock more quickly to help protect against this threat: How to set 1Password to lock automatically

Once someone is willing to use force to get you to unlock your iPhone or 1Password there isn't much that 1Password can do to protect you. If someone is willing to use force to get you to unlock your iPhone or 1Password using Face ID then they'll likely be willing to use the same force to get you to give them your PIN.

That being said, I can see how requiring a PIN in addition to biometrics could give some folks more peace of mind. While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request on your behalf with our product team.

-Dave

ref: PB-38501878

• mjudman
    mjudman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply Dave. I really couldn't ask for more, given that my request was more "peace of mind" as you say, than high probability risk-avoidance.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thank you again for the feedback and idea. 🙂

-Dave

• agogley
    agogley
    Community Member
    Options

Can I second this suggestion? I still use the old 1Password app because it has a PIN

The government can get a warrant to use your face to unlock a device but cannot force you to give them a password or PIN. I don’t use FACEID on my phone at all.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 8
    Options

@agogley

Thank you for the feedback! If you'd like, you can set 1Password 8 for iOS to unlock using your device passcode rather than using Face ID:

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave