AutoFill only shows a blank list on iOS

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: AutoFill isn't working after updating to the latest version.

Comments

• muttmutt
    muttmutt
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to +1 to both the broken state of AutoFill in iOS 17 and that disabling it seems to make it a bit better.

• @muttmutt

I'm sorry that you're running into issues with AutoFill. Can you tell me a little more about what specifically isn't working with iOS AutoFill on your device? Are you unable to fill at all into certain apps?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• muttmutt
    muttmutt
    Community Member
    Options

Sure. It doesn't work with iOS 17. When it's on, configured to use 1Password it doesn't offer any 1Password entries, only a blank list which I presume is the empty iCloud KeyChain. Next time I catch it, I will post.

• @muttmutt

Thank you for the reply. Are you tapping on the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard to fill? Or are you double-tapping a field and then tapping AutoFill > Passwords? If it's the latter then there's a known issue where iOS will continue to show iCloud Keychain even if 1Password is selected and the issue has been reported to Apple.

If you're tapping on the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard and not seeing 1Password then please take a screenshot the next time that the issue occurs so that I can better understand the situation. Make sure that nothing sensitive is visible in the screenshot.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24225

• muttmutt
    muttmutt
    Community Member
    Options

So this is in non-browser apps so there isn't an "extension" to press on. So I can only do the double-tap. Unless I'm doing something wrong which is entirely possible. After all, I did spend 30 years in enterprise IT so I'm ill-equipped to handle personal tech (I'm not kidding here... So many things in the personal tech space make no sense to IT people!).

• @muttmutt

Thanks for the reply. When you tap on the username or password field in non-browser apps do you see "Passwords" appear above your keyboard? If you don't then I would like you to double-check that you have turned on iOS AutoFill to work with 1Password:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys.
    4. Select 1Password.
    5. De-select any other password manager listed here.

Then try to fill your login again using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

• muttmutt
    muttmutt
    Community Member
    Options
  • @muttmutt

Thank you for the screenshot, AutoFill does appear to be setup correctly on your iPhone. What do you see above your keyboard when you tap on the username field inside of the app that you're trying to fill into? If you don't see anything then try tapping on the password field instead. You should see a "Passwords" prompt or a key icon that looks like this:

Tapping on the "Passwords" prompt or the key icon should allow you to fill. If you don't see this prompt in the app that you're using then can you try tapping on the username/password field in another app to see if AutoFill works properly there?

-Dave

• muttmutt
    muttmutt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to call a time-out on myself here because I think some of this behavior I've been seeing is on my iPad and I have NOT checked the config on that. I will do that this evening and get back to you.

• @muttmutt

Sounds good, we'll be here to help when you're back. 🙂

-Dave

• pixelreinjan
    pixelreinjan
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue. Any ideas on how to fix this?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@pixelreinjan

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when using AutoFill. Are you also seeing a blank list when you try to fill a login into an app on your iPhone or iPad? As a first step can you make sure that AutoFill is setup to work with 1Password:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys.
    4. Select 1Password.

Then try to fill your login again using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

If that still doesn't work then can you post a screenshot of what you see on your device?

-Dave

• pixelreinjan
    pixelreinjan
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Dave, thank you for the reply. The normal autofill works as intended, we are talking about the “Autofill” option in the double tap menu:

• Dave_1P
    edited March 8
    Options

@pixelreinjan

Thank you for the clarification. There is indeed currently an issue in iOS where double-tapping on a field and then tapping AutoFill > Passwords will not respect your password manager selection from Settings > Passwords > Password Options (where you chose to use 1Password) and will instead bring up iCloud Keychain regardless of your selection. If you don't have anything saved in iCloud Keychain, you'll just see an empty list.

We've reported the issue to Apple, hopefully it will be fixed in a future update. For now, you'll need to use the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard instead.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24225