Does two factor authentication work in apps, or only for Safari?

Options
siplhium
siplhium
Community Member

The title says it. I recently switched to 2FA with 1Password as my authenticator app. But when I try logging in to my bank app and they ask for a code, I don't seem to get any help from 1Password. Is 1Password not supposed to work in apps? Please don't tell me I have to go back to copy and paste.

1Password Version: 8.10.26
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOs 17.3.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @siplhium! 👋

Thank you for reaching out. 1Password uses the iOS native filling feature to fill your username and password into apps, this feature doesn't support filling one-time passwords from 1Password at this time. However you can have 1Password automatically copy your one-time password for an app or website to the clipboard so that you can paste it into the app when filling your login information:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 8.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings.
    3. Tap AutoFill.
    4. Turn on "Copy One-Time Passwords".
    5. Go back to Settings.
    6. Tap Notifications.
    7. Turn on "One-Time Passwords".

Then fill a username/password into the app again. You should see a notification that 1Password has copied the one-time password to your clipboard. You can then paste the one-time password into the app: Select, cut, copy, and paste text on iPhone - Apple Support (CA)

When it comes to the website you can use our extension for Safari which does have the ability to fill the one-time password: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member
    Options

In the case of my bank app, you're not asked for the username/password (I guess that's done automatically/semi-permanently behind the scenes). It asks only for the 2FA code. So I guess that means switching between apps copying, switching back, and pasting. Just like the old days. Oh well...

• Dave_1P
    Options

@siplhium

Thank you for those details. It sounds like copy and pasting your one-time password from 1Password into your bank app is indeed the way to go for now. I'm sorry that I don't have any other suggestions.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave