Make readable (non-encrypted) PDF backup... like before?

Options
acanton77
acanton77
Community Member

Years ago you could export all your password data into a very readable PDF file. I would do that and put it on a USB 'pen' drive and put in an envelope with my will and other documents in case something happened to me... so my wife would be able to settle my affairs and have the passwords to banks, brokerage, and everything else. It was very convenient. What do I do these days? She could not use Excel.

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macos 12.7.4
Browser: Brave

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @acanton77! 👋

Thanks for the question! Historically, it's been recommended that folks avoid printing their passwords and other items since that will remove them from the secure and encrypted environment of 1Password. Any exported or printed copy of your passwords will be in plain text and so will be readable by anyone who views it. When you pay your membership fee for 1Password, you're paying for a multi-level security system to protect your most important information. By printing your items (even to a PDF), you bypass that security system entirely resulting in your passwords and other important information no longer being protected by 1Password.

Have you considered one of the following options instead:

• Create a shared vault, that your wife has access to, and move important documents and logins there: Share passwords with your family
    • Download and print your Emergency Kit and write your account password onto the printed copy. Then, place that printed Emergency Kit in your envelope along with your other important documents in a safe and secure place. Your wife will be able to use the information in the Emergency Kit to login and access your 1Password account.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    Options

I understand the security issue, but that should NOT be decided by 1Pass. It should be left up to the user to decide if he/she wants to make a non-encrytped PDF... and of course I can password-protect the PDF as well as encrypt in a .dmg file or via one of the many encryption utilities available for the Mac community.

As for vaults, my wife has her own vault. I don't want her to have access to MY vault because she is not very computer-literate and who knows what damage she could do. If she screws up her vault I have all her passwords in a text file. She only has about 30 of them. I have over 300.

You should bring back the ability for your customer to make a readable PDF or txt file from 1Pass. It is YOUR job to secure the data in YOUR possession... but it is not your job to prevent me from downloading and managing the data the way I want to do it. Just my opinion... worth what it cost!!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@acanton77

Thanks for the feedback, I've passed along your request to the team. While I can't make any promises, the team will consider adding such a feature to 1Password in the future. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-38640576