Browser extension not unlocking even when app is unlocked

Options
nciiis
nciiis
Community Member
edited March 14 in 1Password in the Browser

Recently, probably when I updated to Mac OS 14.4, something happened that prevented me from unlocking my vaults with the browser extension, so now I need to copy and paste all the time rather than using auto-fill.

Any way to fix this?

1Password Version: 7.9.11
Extension Version: Version 2.21.0
OS Version: Mac OS 14.4 (23E214)
Browser: Firefox 123.0.1

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited March 11
    Options

Hello @nciiis! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password isn't working properly with your browser. It sounds like communication between the 1Password extension in your browser and the 1Password for Mac app has broken down. To fix this please do the following:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit 1Password Completely. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Applications folder.
    4. Open your web browser.

If that doesn't fix the issue then I recommend upgrading to 1Password 8 as that is the latest version that has been tested with macOS 14.4: Upgrade to 1Password 8

-Dave

• nciiis
    nciiis
    Community Member
    edited March 12
    Options

I've done all those steps, restarted the computer even.

I'm not convinced to update to v8 until it reaches parity on at least features OR user experience with v7, right now it is worse in both regards so I have no incentive to do so. The older version is still better in every way for both my personal needs and my corporate needs. I suppose once things fully break I will move on to something else after more than a decade of personal 1Password use while begrudgingly keep on using v8 at work because it is mandated, not because I like it.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@nciiis

Thanks for the reply. 1Password 7 is no longer being developed or tested so it's likely that you'll run into more and more issues as macOS diverges from the versions that 1Password 7 was developed for.

I see that you've previously shared your thoughts about 1Password 8 with the team, I hope that you give it another try in the future as we're constantly improving the experience with new updates: 1Password for Mac Releases

That being said, I can see if there are any other suggestions that I can offer for the issue that you're running into. When you try to unlock the 1Password extension in Firefox do you see any error messages? Are you still able to unlock the app, and the extension in other browsers, without issue?

-Dave

• nciiis
    nciiis
    Community Member
    Options

I consistently try the latest version of v8, for example I am trying to get the SSH keys up and running with multiple Bitbucket accounts, but unfortunately your instructions are not compatible with the instructions from Atlassian/Bitbucket on how to manage that, so they clash and causes issues.

But back to the current issue, there are no error messages in the browser console at all, however, I have managed to discover one thing: If I copy-paste the password into the browser extension dialogue it works, but every time I manually type it, no matter how carefully, it does not work.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@nciiis

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble with SSH. I see that you have an open ticket for this issue and one of my colleagues will send you another reply soon.

But back to the current issue, there are no error messages in the browser console at all, however, I have managed to discover one thing: If I copy-paste the password into the browser extension dialogue it works, but every time I manually type it, no matter how carefully, it does not work.

Are you able to log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (the web app, not the browser extension) when you type in your account password?

You mentioned trying 1Password 8 regularly, do you currently have both 1Password 8 and 1Password 7 installed on your Mac at the same time? That can sometimes cause issues. If you do then do you know if integration between the desktop app and the browser extension is turned on for both desktop app versions? If you don't know how to check then let me know and I'll post steps.

-Dave

ref: TBC-56677-564

• nciiis
    nciiis
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I have both installed. I can log in to my.1password.eu.

And here is yet another example why the new UI is worse, it does not work like a Mac app, the checkboxes do not behave like normal checkboxes ought to do. Normal checkboxes gets an inactive state any time the window is not the frontmost one. The new stupid interface doesn't even adhere to these basic interface paradigms, nor does it support Mac OS accessibility settings for increased contrast.

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello @nciiis, thank you for your reply.

I appreciate the feedback you’ve provided on your experience with 1Password 8's user interface. I’m sorry to hear it’s been less than stellar. We’re always working to improve the experience, and I’ll share your feedback about checkboxes and focus with the team.

Based on the information you've shared so far, the option to connect 1Password 7 to the 1Password extension helper has been toggled off. Therefore, it appears that 1Password in the browser is having trouble communicating with the 1Password 8 desktop app.

So that I can take a closer look at the issue you’re experiencing, I’d like to request that you send us some information to support+forum@1Password.com.

With your email please include:

1. First, please recreate the issue you're experiencing.
    2. Then save a console log for 1Password in the browser using the steps here -> Save a console log for 1Password in your browser
    3. Lastly, generate a diagnostic report from the 1Password app (desktop app) using the steps here -> How to send a 1Password diagnostics report
    4. Attach both files to your next reply.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I’ll be able to locate your message and make sure it’s gotten to the right place.

I look forward to assisting you further.

-Evon

ref: PB-38718752