Watchtower says Passkeys available however cannot see Passkey on suggested sites?

Options
DeeEye
DeeEye
Community Member
edited March 8 in 1Password in the Browser

Watchtower says Passkeys available however cannot see Passkey options to create on several sites. Examples: amazon, paypal, LinkedIn, Twitter, Microsoft/Outlook.com

I was able to create Passkeys for Google. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: Mac 8.10.27
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.4 (23E214)
Browser: 123.0.1 (64-bit)

Comments

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member
    Options

anyone?

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited March 9
    Options

Unfortunately, the Passkeys availability display from Watchtower is very unreliable, if you don't live in the US. Also if you don't use the most supported device with the most supported OS (whatever that is, this differs from company to company).

Actual passkeys availability is often country specific (US gets first, everyone else get it months/years later), and it's often specific to some device with some device OS and specific browser.
    Paypal for example first wasn't available in Germany for months, and now it's available but insists on using a mobile device for passkeys and doesn't accept a passkey from my Windows 11 desktop browser. Because of this I don't use a passkey for Paypal, which is a pity.

I ignore this Watchtower category, because it wastes my time by making me search for the passkey functionality on the sites's security options only to find none or some "unsupported for you" error message.

• ag_tommy
    Options

I would recommend looking at https://passkeys.directory/ it often has valuable notes on sites requirements.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Twitter is specifically iOS for now. I was just working with a user on that. You'll find details like that on the directory.

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member
    Options

OK but let's take Amazon, for example. I am US based, have a US Amazon account and do not see anywhere in Amazon security settings to setup a Passkey - even though it's on passkeys.directory ?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@DeeEye

Thanks for the reply. Can you setup a passkey for Amazon when you follow these steps:

1. Login to Amazon.com
    2. In Your Account, select Login & Security.
    3. Select Set up next to Passkey.
    4. Select Set up.
    5. Follow the instructions provided to complete setting up a passkey: Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser

If you don't see the option then it's possible that support for passkeys hasn't been rolled out to your Amazon account yet. I would reach out to Amazon support so that they can take a look and advise further.

-Dave

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member
    Options

I'm stuck at step 3. there is no Passkey option anywhere on the page.
    Amazon has had passkeys for ages now - but also 1P says passkeys avail on Amazon, Twitter, Paypal, Yahoo, LinkedIn and all of these sites I cannot setup a passkey.

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member
    Options

OK i see an issue - i've been using Firefox. When I use Safari, I now get prompted for a passkey on Amazon. I don't want to setup a passkey on Safari as it forces me to use iCloud Keychain. I want to use 1password - how do I do this?

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member
    Options

ok figured it out. I need to scan the QR code and launch 1password. thx.

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member
    Options

Still doesn't work for: LinkedIn, Twitter, Yahoo, Microsoft, Skype -> all flagged as Passkeys Available on 1P Watchtower

• ag_tommy
    Options

@DeeEye

Have you checked the passkey directory? Some sites are only allow passkeys via one method or device type or even a specific browser. Twitter for example was only using iOS the last time I looked. The directory has invaluable notes you can use.

https://passkeys.directory/