Feature request: Shortcut actions

Options
snowy
snowy
Community Member
edited January 5 in CLI

i mentioned this before, but still interested in Shortcuts actions (Shortcuts.app). I mean it would be nice to use references inside of the shortcuts for things like API (ssh) keys, passwords in shortcut on both macOS and iOS. there is host of automation options that would be great to be able to use 1Password as the secure store for these items.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @snowy! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! Can you tell me a little more about the kinds of shortcuts you'd like to create and where you'd see 1Password fitting in? Do you have any examples of any shortcuts that you'd like to create?

You mentioned SSH and you might find this interesting: SSH and Git, meet 1Password 🥰

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

Oh yeah I already use the SSH keys (and with git). I love that feature!

So I have a few shortcuts that connect to remote servers via SSH to run various scripts. I would like to use 1Password to be where it they get password from to connect. Rather than contained in the shortcut. I also use ShellFish for connecting using shortcuts for uploading files via SFTP. So if when I run them it triggers authentication like SSH keys do on macOS and 1Password that would be fine. But being able to grab username, passwords, our an arbitrary field (ie specific api key). This than means you don’t store these insecurely using something like DataJar.

Also it would be great if I could create entries. I could provide parameters for each or any field (and if needed generate password). I have cases where I have been making use of the secure notes or I need to create login on the fly and not have to open 1Password.

And the return value would be say UUID so you could recall it further in the shortcut.

This would be both macOS and iOs for all of these shortcuts. This is me requesting for what I would love to see.

• @snowy

Thanks for the feedback! I've filed a feature request on your behalf to have the product team look into adding support for shortcuts.

I'm not an expert on shortcuts myself but, on the Mac, you may be able to create scripts that use the 1Password Command Line Interface (CLI) and then invoke those scripts using a shortcut: 1Password CLI Developer.

However, the CLI isn't available on iOS so it wouldn't help there.

-Dave

ref: PB-36174844

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

So I do use the CLI, but as you mentioned Mac only. However, cli doesn't work offline, which is just problematic cause I am often in situations without internet access. I posted on that forum already about offline mode.

And the shortcuts would alleviate the offline issue and would allow the shortcuts to work on both platforms with the same shortcut.

• Thanks again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah of course. I did think of 2 other actions that would be nice.
    Lock status - is 1Password locked?
    Offline status - is 1password in offline mode?

In the case of lock status you know if yo trigger the action it is going to prompt to unlock your vault.

With the offline mode status - if you use a shortcut action to create an entry you know that entry won’t be synced immediately.

• Thanks for those additional examples, I've passed them along as well. 🙂

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

thought of another useful action. The ability to create an entry and being able to attach a file or update an entry and attach a file to it.

• Thanks, I've passed your example along to the team. 🙂

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I am still holding out hope this will be implemented sometime soon. I have resorted to some AppleScript to try and achieve my end goal.

However, the accessibility integration in 1P and what seems to be because the UI is Electron based makes for some wonky and fragile scripting. As you can see in the screenshot using UI Browser.app to determine field locations there is HTML rendering and mismatched groups.

• brrrendan
    brrrendan
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to see the ability to create logins (or other items) in 1Password, via Shortcuts. Maybe for logins, Shortcuts could prompt for Title, Username, Password, Website and then give options to save and dismiss or save and open the new login.