1Password's sidebar disappears when creating items

Options
lukov
lukov
Community Member
edited March 8 in Mac

After the latest update to the 1Password 8.10.26 on macOS 14.3.1, the app started behaving very strange:
When you edit any record and you click on "Create a New Password" or "+ add more" or "+ add another field" it does nothing and it clears up the very left column with the vaults.

It behave the same way on different computers. App restarting or locking and unlocking doesn't help.

1Password Version: 8.10.26
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.3.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• kijensky
    kijensky
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. The latest production and beta are affected.
    It is not possible to click on the dropdown menu next to the item. The left panel with the accounts disappears.

1Password for Mac 8.10.28 (81028001)

• adamlogan
    adamlogan
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having issues with not being able to click "+ add more". When I do the expected action does not happen. However everything in the left pane with categories etc becomes blank, and the "+ add more" button or whatever element it is changes color and stays that way until I click somewhere else, then the categories and tags re-appear in the left pane and the "+ add more" button reverts to its usual color.

I just tried re-installing 1Password, the issues with the latest update is so disruptive, it's worse than whatever the team fixed.

• Hi everyone.

We have had some reports of this behaviour, in particular from customers using quite a lot of tags. Our Development team are hard at work identifying the root cause of this issue, but in the meantime, turning off tags in the sidebar has reportedly helped folks as a workaround:

Use the sidebar in 1Password # Customize the sidebar

If tags are turned off in the sidebar, you can still search for them by using the =tag:[tag name] syntax in the Search box at the top, or by clicking a tag in an item.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We're working on getting this resolved as soon as possible.

— Grey

ref: dev/core/core#28117

• lmr
    lmr
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent @GreyM1P ! Workaround has done its job. In my case I have more than 30 tags in place.

1Password Version: 8.10.26
    OS Version: macOS 14.3.1

• @lmr

It's great to hear that Grey's workaround of turning tags off has improved things in the meantime while our team works on a permanent fix.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

-David

• TheMacMommy
    TheMacMommy
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue and I had just under 70 tags. It did make me realize I need to clean those up. I've been using 1Password for about a decade, so it's built up some dust bunnies. The workaround saved my sanity, thank you. Looking forward to the update.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@TheMacMommy – Good to hear that helped for now!

To be clear (for everyone else too), it's not like anyone affected by this issue has "too many" tags or anything like that – have as many as you like! – but more so that a larger number of tags seems to trigger this underlying behaviour.

• timkingman
    timkingman
    Community Member
    Options

Just chiming in to say thanks that this workaround worked, and that I only have 3 tags, with one tag applied to 85 items. Like the commenters above, I'm a long-time user with about 1100 items dating back to 2008. (Should I change that Orkut password?)

• GreyM1P
    Options

@timkingman

You're welcome! It may be more about the number of items with tags, rather than the number of tags themselves – more tags will usually mean more tagged items, after all – so that's useful to know. Thanks!

• jdebruyn
    jdebruyn
    Community Member
    edited March 4
    Options

Thank you for the workaround, but we would like to have this issue fixed. Could you please make sure this is included in the next Beta release to review?

• Dave_1P
    edited March 4
    Options

@jdebruyn

I'm happy that the workaround helps for now, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. The issue is open with our development team but I don't have an ETA on when a fix will be available in a future beta or stable update.

Keep an eye on our release notes to know when the fix will be released: 1Password Releases

-Dave

• vdr
    vdr
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here; tags or no. I cannot create or edit any passwords on the desktop app. Only the web interface seems to work.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@vdr

I'm sorry that you're also seeing the issue, can you try the following:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Appearance.
    5. Uncheck "Tags" under the Always show in Sidebar section.

Once this is unchecked, do you still see the issue? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Dave_1P
    edited March 21
    Options

Hello everyone,

Our developers have released an update to 1Password that includes a fix for an issue where using certain tags could result in visual issues or cause the app to become unresponsive. Please update to 1Password for Mac version 8.10.28:

Thank you all for your patience while our developers worked to resolve the issue. If you've previously turned tags off in your sidebar as a workaround, you can turn them back on after updating:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Appearance.
    5. Check "Tags" under the Always show in Sidebar section.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave