Previous search term displaying in search box when using Command+F

Options
petebocken
petebocken
Community Member

Steps to reproduce:
1. Perform a search by pressing Command+F or clicking on the search field
2. Press Command+F again
3. Previous search term is automatically displayed in the search box requiring you to have to delete the text to perform a new search.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.18.2
OS Version: macOS 14.3
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited February 12
    Options

Hello @petebocken! 👋

Thanks for the feedback! I've let the team know that you'd like to see the search field cleared whenever you press Command+F to switch focus back to the field.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27129

• Max_ag
    Options

Hey @petebocken the way this should be working is that when you perform a search and then press cmd+f again it should highlight the existing search term and you should able to type immediately to perform a new search which would act essentially the same as if it was pre-cleared, but this way preserves the existing search while allowing you to perform a new one without having to do anything.

I'm just checking whether this is happening for you or are you having to manually highlight the search term and delete it?

• petebocken
    petebocken
    Community Member
    Options

Not every time it appears. I just did it several times, and yes, it would automatically highlight the previous search text as long as I don't click on anything. If I click on an entry and then do command+F, it will place the text insertion after the previous search term.

I also see it does this if you first click into a tag from the sidebar. However, I see the value in that because then you can quickly search inside just that tag.

• Dave_1P
    edited February 12
    Options

@petebocken

Thank you for those additional details. The inconsistency that you've noted with how and when the search field is highlighted is something that I'm seeing on my end as well. I've asked the team to look into bringing more consistency to this behaviour in the future.

Thank you for reporting the issue and for helping us make 1Password better. 🙂

-Dave

• scott2023
    scott2023
    Community Member
    Options

@petebocken thank you for reporting this, and @Dave_1P thank you for your reply!

I just came to the forums here to report this same issue — the behavior may be intended, but it drives me absolutely batty multiple times a day (i.e., each time I search for something in 1P). Glad you are on it!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@scott2023

Thank you for the feedback! I'll passed your comments along to the team as well so that they're aware that you find the current behaviour frustrating.

-Dave

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list as well. 🙂

• eli.s_1P
    Options

Hello @MerryBit

I'd like to thank you for reporting that you are seeing the issue as well. I have gone ahead and noted that you are seeing this, and I apologize for any inconvenience this is causing you. While I do not have any timetable on when we will fix this search behavior, our team really appreciates you taking the time to share your feedback.

-Eli