How to save passkey to external security key (Yubikey) with 1Password enabled on Mac?

Options
flstaats
flstaats
Community Member

With the latest Sonoma release of MacOS, the new version of Safari, the new version of Chrome, and the new version of 1Password enabled I can save passkeys to 1Password. And with 1Password disabled I can save passkeys to Safari Keychain or to the Chrome device store.

But I can't figure out how to save a passkey to my external Yubikeys (5C, 5Ci, 5C NFC and 5C Nano) anymore. I keep the Yubikey as a physical backup to access my critical accounts and would like to save alternate backup passkeys to them.

Any suggestions on how with the latest versions of the software on the Mac to save my backup passkeys to an external hardware security key? Does this need to be a feature request for 1Password to use physical security tokens instead of 1Password?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: MacOS Sonoma 14.0
Browser: Safari

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I temporarily disable the 1Password browser extension when I want to create a passkey using a YubiKey (as a backup, like you).

Rather clumsy, so I hope there is (or will be) a better way.

PS: Have not tried this yet (not sure it was already available when I set up my passkeys):

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/695442/#Comment_695442

• flstaats
    flstaats
    Community Member
    Options

There is a better way, I've started using Chrome which lets me enable the YubiKey. When creating the passkey there is an icon of a security key. In chrome if you click on it it will forward you to the hardware key flow rather than the 1Password flow. In Safari they have hardwired passkey creation to the MacOS flow and I still haven't found a clean way there to enable the hardware key. Once the passkey is enabled in the YubiKey it works normally as an option if you touch when doing the login.

• Hi both.

If you need to use a hardware security key like a YubiKey, you can click the little USB-shaped icon near the top-right corner to bypass 1Password's passkey features. It'll look like this:

Then your browser will take over and continue with the normal hardware security key process.

Let me know how that goes for you, and I'll be here if you have any questions. :)

— Grey

• aquinox77
    aquinox77
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, just came to add to this thread. The "USB" icon does not work in my case. I'm using Brave on Win11. Clicking this icon immediately causes the entire flow to fail.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 22
    Options

@aquinox77

Thanks for reaching out. I've replied to you in the other thread that you posted in, let's continue the conversation there.

-Dave