Unable to find certain items in 1Password, including in the Archive or Deleted Items

Options
TravelSD
TravelSD
Community Member
edited March 25 in Mac

I'm a very long time 1P user with hundreds of items in my vault. However, the last two days I've come across a disturbing trend. The first incident of a missing vault item was when I went to an airline site and tried to login. Nowhere in my vault was the airline information. Not in archive nor deleted items.

Then today I went to a healthcare site, and again, my credentials were missing. A thorough search of archive and deleted items revealed nothing. This is exceptionally disturbing as I've never had this happen before. What's going on?

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: macOS Sonoma
Browser: Vivaldi/Safari

Comments

• JonM1PW
    Options

Hey @TravelSD!

Thanks for reaching out. It's never a great feeling when data is missing. 1Password was carefully designed to require direct action from users to modify or delete items to ensure there is no unintentional removal of data. Would you mind if I ask a couple of questions to get a clearer idea of your setup here?

1. Was the item in question in a shared vault, or your Private vault?
    2. If you typically use one of the 1Password applications, can you sign in to your account at 1password.com and attempt to view the item there?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing back from you.

-Jon

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

They were in a private vault. I signed into 1P.com and only the newly created entries for the two sites appears.

• JonM1PW
    Options

Thanks for your reply and for the additional details, @TravelSD.

I know you said you've checked this already, but I'd like you double check the Archive and your Recently Deleted items from 1Password.com to make sure we're covering all of our bases here:

• Sign in to 1Password.com from a web browser
    • Click on All Vaults
    • Click on Archive from the bottom-left corner of your screen > If your item in here, click on it > Restore
    • Click on View Recently Deleted >  If your item in here > Click on Restore
    • Please make sure that you are checking your Recently Deleted items from 1Password.com as it grants you a longer history of items deleted than the 1Password application.

If you don't see the items in either the Archive or Recently Deleted on 1Password.com then can you tell me the following:

1. On which device did you last see the items and when?
    2. Do you know the password that you used for either of the missing items? Or the content of any of the fields in those items? If you do then can you try entering that into the search box in the 1Password for Mac desktop app?

Once I hear back from you I'll be able to provide further support.

-Jon

• MaxG55
    MaxG55
    Community Member
    Options

I encountered an identical situation and unfortunately the solutions given above did not work.
    I lost the data I used to login 3 days ago on my desktop.
    ~~~~
    1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.28 (81028034)
    OS Version: macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224)
    Browser: Chrome/Safari/Firefox

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

@JonM1PW The missing airline entry WAS on the WEB Archive. I could NOT find it within the 1P Mac client via SEARCH. I searched on "Air france" and the only hit was the one I created in March. Searching on the web returned the entry from 2020. If I manually went into the 1P Mac "Archive", sorted on title, and manually reviewed the list I found the entry. Search did NOT return it.

• Hi @TravelSD - I hope you don't mind me jumping in to help here.

The Archive is a place to store items that you'd like to exclude from filling suggestions and search results, so it would be expected behaviour that your archived item wouldn't be found when searching in 1Password for Mac. Am I correct in understanding that you were able to locate both missing items in your Archive?

If you didn't realise that these items were archived, it's possible that you've inadvertently disabled the confirmation warning that appears before an item is archived. As a test, I'd like to ask you to create a test item in 1Password for Mac, then select it in the item list and press the Backspace key. Do you see a warning before the test item is archived?

@MaxG55 - I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd like to ask you to get send an email to support+forum@1password.com so we can take a closer look.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/145049/unable-to-find-certain-items-in-1password-including-in-the-archive-or-deleted-items#latest
    • Your forum username: MaxG55

You'll get an auto-reply from BitBot which contains a conversation number that will look like this [#ABC-12345-123]. Post that number here and I'll make sure your message reaches the right team.