How do I search for items inside the archive?

Options
gasses_bird
gasses_bird
Community Member

Can I search for items that have been deleted or archived? Addding a toggle feature in the search function that includes results from both the archive and trash sections would be helpful.

I've faced numerous situations where I was trying to find specific credentials that I accidentally archived. Scrolling through the archive manually didn't help me locate them, even though I'm sure they are stored in 1Password.

1Password for Mac 8.10.13 (81013005)

1Password Version: 8.10.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• gasses_bird
    gasses_bird
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, I just realized that I posted the exact same post about 8 months ago.

๐Ÿฅฒ

https://1password.community/discussion/130193/how-to-search-password-in-archive-in-1password-8-on-macos#latest

• Hello @gasses_bird! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thanks for following up on your previous suggestion. Have you tried using the Find tool? You can open the Archive in the 1Password for Mac app, click Edit > Find, and then search for an item inside of the Archive.

Let me know if that works for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Options

Is it possible to search archive on iOS? I can see the Find option on macOS version, but still do not see a possibility to search archive on my iPhone.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Solos

Yes. Tap the Items tab > Archive, then use the Find box at the top, shown here:

โ€” Grey

• Solos
    Solos
    Community Member
    Options

Great! It works. Thanks.

• Dave_1P
    Options

On behalf of Grey, you're very welcome. ๐Ÿ˜Š

-Dave

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Please include an option in search to include the archive. The local search from Edit > Find unfortunately doesn't search custom fields or notes.

Judging by the dozens of similar threads in the 1Password Community, this seems to be a highly requested feature. Not sure why AgileBits hasn't implemented it yet.

• @philmcole

I've let the team know that you'd like to see better search options for the Archive. Thank you for the feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since the Archive is meant to be a place you place items that you don't usually need to access or search, have you considered placing items that you do sometimes need into another vault instead? You can then use a collection to decide which vaults you're seeing and searching through at any given time: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

-Dave

ref: PB-37744627

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

This has been discussed for years in many now-closed discussion threads. It should be obvious by now that the users have spoken and the devs are not paying attention. This is a sorely needed feature. Can we please get this implemented already?

Also, for the record, the Edit > Find option on MacOS does absolutely nothing.

• @esquared

Thank you for the continued feedback.

Also, for the record, the Edit > Find option on MacOS does absolutely nothing.

That doesn't sound right. Just to clarify: if you type something into the Find tool nothing happens? What if you type in the title of one of the items in the current list that you're viewing?

-Dave

ref: PB-37866314

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

When I said "does nothing", I literally meant "has no affect on any dialog or window of 1Password". I had to restart my 1Password app to get the "Find Tool" to even appear. Once I did that, it does seem to do what was intended.

Now that I know that exists, that's great, but the original suggestion to add a "checkbox" or way to search archive and deleted items, would be great. Additionally, providing the appropriate feedback to the user when they use the normal "search" tool and nothing matching is found, it should be made especially clear that the Archive (and deleted items) are not searched.

Apologies for the harsh tone. I've been fighting several (unrelated) 1Password issues, and I was in a mood.

• @esquared

Those suggestions sound like they would improve the search experience for some folks and I've passed them along to the team.

I'm happy that the Find tool is working after closing and reopening the 1Password app. If you need help with one of those other issues then please open a new thread and the team and I would be happy to help.

Thanks again for the feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    edited March 1
    Options

@Dave_1P

the Archive is meant to be a place you place items that you don't usually need to access or search

Well, in the unusual case to need to access the items, how do you find them? Ah yes, you scroll through an endless alphabetically sorted list. Great UX! Who needs search?

I guess your argumentโ€™s implicit premise is that the Archive is not needed at all. Itโ€™s more useful than just another vault because itโ€™s clearly separate and moving items there is just one click away.

Iโ€™m always surprised of 1Password staff. I wonder do 1Password employees actually use 1Password, apart maybe from a handful of items in a vault for work? People in this forum are power users with hundreds of items in dozens of vaults since a decade. Donโ€™t you think they might know something?

• Dave_1P
    edited March 1
    Options

@philmcole

Thanks again for the feedback. I agree that better tools to search the Archive would help and I've passed your feedback along to the appropriate team internally so that they're aware of your need for this feature.

Collections were a suggestion that I offered in case they might help you organize your many items and vaults since I'm not able to say when, or if, the ability to search the Archive will be added to the app. But I know that they're not a perfect solution to the use case that you've provided here and hopefully future updates to 1Password will provide better options. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• Dr_Agileup77
    Dr_Agileup77
    Community Member
    Options

Does not work for on Mac to search archive. any other suggestions? have hundreds of items in Archive. thanks.

• Dr_Agileup77
    Dr_Agileup77
    Community Member
    Options

Another request to search the entire contents of the Archive. Seems to only search the Title. Have hundreds of individual logins with their respective notes/passwords etc etc but the search method above seems very limited in seraching the entire Archive. Any updates or other suggestions? thanks.

• Dave_1P
    edited March 26
    Options

@Dr_Agileup77

I've merged your comments into the same thread so that we can keep the conversation in the same place.

I'll pass along your request to enhance the ability to search through the Archive to the team. Could you give me an example of a field that you find yourself needing to search for in the Archive? I'd love to know more details so that I can file a more robust feature request on your behalf. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• Dr_Agileup77
    Dr_Agileup77
    Community Member
    Options

Would like to search for user names, password and info inside notes please.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Dr_Agileup77

Thanks for the reply, I've passed your request along to the team. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-39060346