"Type in window" for Mac

Options
cpahoraios
cpahoraios
Community Member

When using 1Password on a Windows machine I can use "Type in window" from the drop down list of an item (next to "Reveal", "Show in large Type", ...) to have the password magically "typed" into the selected window. This is perfect for every situation where automation is limited.

However working on a Mac I am missing this feature…

Let me show you a situation where 1Password is limited: I work a lot on Windows machines using Remote Desktop. To change a password for one of those Windows machines it has to be put into a special mode using ctrl+alt+delete and then choosing “Change a password”. It then shows a screen expecting the old password, the new password, and the confirmed new password. On this screen for what ever reason clipboard content cannot be accessed. Therefore ctrl+v or context menu “Paste” are not an option. The 1Password client from the Windows machine is at that point inaccessible due to the “special mode” in full screen. Drag & drop from my 1Password client (Mac) outside of remote desktop does not work. Also “Quick Access” (Mac) using “Autofill” or shift+return are not working.

My options here are typing a secure password manually (bad), use a simple password (worse), or not use a Mac (worst)…

Do you have any suggestions for me? Am I missing something? Are you planning to implement the feature “Type in window” for the Mac Client?

Kind regards,
Chang

PS: Keep up the great work! I am a very satisfied customer!

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.2.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options
  • Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @cpahoraios! 👋

Thank you for the feedback. While 1Password for Windows has a "Type in window" feature, 1Password on the Mac features Universal Autofill which is much more powerful for most use cases: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

That being said, I understand that Universal Autofill doesn't work for this particular use case and I can see how the "Type in Window" feature would be useful on the Mac. While I can't make any promises, I've passed your feedback along to the team.

-Dave

ref: PB-39000907