Desktop app crashes when I try to open it

Options
AlbyC
AlbyC
Community Member
edited March 28 in Mac

Hello everyone!
For some time a weird issue has been happening.
When I try to open the desktop app, it instantly crashes (and I don't even have the screen from Apple asking to send a report to the developer).

I tried to uninstall the app and reinstall it again with the following versions but nothing changed:

• the latest available on https://1password.com/downloads/mac/
  • an older one (7.9.11 as specified in the additional information).
    With version 7 I could install it, but not open it. With the latest version, even the installer fails.

The problem is that I don't even know how to debug the issue because no window stays open enough to check on possible errors.

The browser extension works perfectly. I just can't unlock it with Touch ID because it can't connect to the desktop app.

What can I try to do?

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited March 27
    Options

Hello @AlbyC! 👋

I'm sorry that the 1Password app isn't opening on your device. 1Password 7 is no longer supported and I recommend that you use 1Password 8 going forward. With this in mind, I'll focus my suggestions on 1Password 8. Remove 1Password 7 using these steps:

1. Uninstall 1Password 7: How to uninstall 1Password
    2. Restart your Mac.
    3. Reinstall 1Password 8: Get the 1Password apps

Then, so that I can better understand the situation, please tell me the following:

1. What version of macOS are you using?
    2. How are your opening 1Password? By clicking on the menubar icon? Or by double-clicking on 1Password from your Applications folder?
    3. After 1Password crashes, can you still open Quick Access by pressing Command-Shift-Spacebar or is the app completely closed and unresponsive?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• AlbyC
    AlbyC
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Dave, thanks for your reply!
    So I followed your steps and unfortunately, nothing changed.

I uninstalled 1Password, including all its data, and restarted the Mac.
    Then I downloaded the new installer from your second link, tried to open it, and boom! It just crashed.
    This is the same behavior I started to experience when the app was correctly installed.

I've recorded what happens here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UXEtsNwFm0QL0Hh6WPAIBiskmKm2Vwna/view?usp=sharing

Regarding your questions:
    1. Sonoma 14.4.1
    2. See the linked video
    3. No, it's not installed (and unfortunately I didn't try when this weirdness started).

• ag_tommy
    Options

@AlbyC

Did you try a restart of the device? I'd recommend getting you into email support that way we can gather the installer logs and so forth.

. Open Finder.
    2. Click Go in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
    3. Click Go to Folder.
    4. In the new pop-up window that appears paste:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

1. Press return on your keyboard.
    2. Find the folder titled `logs' and right-click on it.
    3. Click Compress "logs".
    4. Attach the logs.zip file that is created to your reply.

Attach the files to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: AlbyC
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/145087/desktop-app-crashes-when-i-try-to-open-it#latest

• Please do not post your logs to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• AlbyC
    AlbyC
    Community Member
    edited March 28
    Options

Hey Tommy, thanks for your reply!

I don't have this folder (it seems the installer is not creating it): ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data,

As I wrote, I deleted all the data as suggested in the previous message and also to start from a clean situation.

Is there any other way to grab the logs?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@AlbyC

Thanks for that information. Are you using any security software such as an antivirus or software the monitors apps and app installation on your Mac like an app cleaner? If you are then can you make sure to add the 1Password installer to that app's exclusion/whitelist?

If that still doesn't work, or you're not using any apps of that sort, then can you try to install 1Password 8 using Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Let me know how that goes.

-Dave

• AlbyC
    AlbyC
    Community Member
    Options

I never install those cleaner apps. Mac is from my company, but I don't recall any recent change (1Password worked perfectly until some days ago).

I managed to install it through brew with brew install --cask 1password. It installed 1Password-8.10.28.
    This way I managed to compress the logs folder as requested. I tried to start the app three times, I'm not sure the logs contain anything useful, but I've sent them to you.

Support ticket ID is CAI-93289-531

If that doesn't help, I'll try the safe mode.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@AlbyC

Thank you for that additional information and for including the Support ID. Your logs are with the right team and one of my colleagues will send you a reply as soon as possible via email.

To prevent having the same conversation in two places at once, I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: CAI-93289-531

This discussion has been closed.