1Password Helper auto-closing, v2

Options
craig_francis
craig_francis
Community Member

With "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" un-ticked.

And using the 1Password app to unlock (i.e. not unlocking via the browser extension).

When I close the 1Password app window (e.g. the red circle in the top left, or pressing [cmd]+[w]), the "1Password Helper" processes closes, and the browser extension goes back to asking "Press the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar to unlock".

It also stops global shortcuts like Quick Access, and Autofill, from working.

I'm regularly using multiple browsers (so I don't want to enter my master password multiple times for each one), and I don't trust the browser extensions to be secure (they don't have the same sandbox setup vs a separate app).

This is a follow up to #134245.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.28 (81028034)
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: 14.2.1 (23C71)
Browser: Chrome (Beta/Canary), Firefox (Main/Developer)

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @craig_francis! 👋

Thank you for reaching out, I'm sorry that you didn't receive a reply in the previous thread. The behaviour that you've described is by design: if you turn off "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" then 1Password's processes will completely close once you close the main window. To keep those processes running in the background, and ready to accept keyboard shortcuts, you'll need to turn on "Keep 1Password in the menu bar".

Since 1Password is critical security software that stores your most important information, it will only run in the background if the menu bar icon is turned on so that users are always aware when 1Password is open and potentially unlocked on their Mac.

and I don't trust the browser extensions to be secure (they don't have the same sandbox setup vs a separate app).

The 1Password extension is carefully designed to be secure and it runs within a sandboxed background page. You can read more here: About the security of 1Password in your browser

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• craig_francis
    craig_francis
    Community Member
    edited March 29
    Options

Thanks Dave, I suppose it's because I've got too many icons in my menu bar, and this one is completely useless (as in, I would hope it was still running, I use 1Password all the time)... it would be nice to have some way of keeping it running in my dock instead, with the dot below it (ironically Adobe Photoshop does this, and that's the one app I don't want to keep running, as it uses so much battery power even when nothing is supposed to be open).

And I'm sure the browser extension is fine; I just know that browsers are, well, they do a lot, and browser authors do make mistakes... I just like having the vault data being kept separate by the operating system.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@craig_francis

Thank you for the feedback. I know that some folks use apps like Bartender to hide menu bar icons that they don't need, that might be an option to look into. That being said, I'll get your comments in front of the team so that they're aware that you'd find an option to hide the menu bar icon useful.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave

ref: PB-39060308

• craig_francis
    craig_francis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave... at some point I'll raise a couple of bug reports, once I've checked the details... where it looks like the Chrome Extension 2.22.1 has a couple of issues, including not working in application/xhtml+xml mode again (test); and on different websites I keep having issues with pressing the down arrow (it shows the menu, but sometimes requires a mouse click to activate)... anyway, it's getting late, and that's not enough info.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@craig_francis

Thanks for the reports. Our developers do have an internal work item open to investigate autofill issues on web pages that use Content-Type: application/xhtml+xml but I don't have any updates to share at the moment. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

on different websites I keep having issues with pressing the down arrow (it shows the menu, but sometimes requires a mouse click to activate)

When you have a chance, are you able to share the address of a web page where you're running into this issue so that I can test it on my end? Is this also happening in Chrome or in a different browser?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26662