Deleted data file from Dropbox folder [restored via Dropbox]

Options
DebCC
DebCC
Community Member
edited April 2013 in Lounge

OMG, I am so freaking mad and upset! I have been using 1Password for a long time and have my entire life on it. I have it on my Mac, my iPhone and iPad. However I have never been able to update my iPhone and iPad since I first started using it. Today I tried to use DropBox to update them and it didn't work. I searched your forum to no avail, so I deleted DropBox. I then tried to use your Beta USB sync and that failed.

Now I find that my ENTIRE 1Password is GONE! I have the icon and nothing else! All my passwords, financial account info, business account info, and everything else is GONE! I only have minimal data from the initial transfer to my iPhone and iPad, both of which are YEARS out of date and hold almost nothing correct!

Is there any way to get it back? I've looked in my computer's trash and see nothing that opens.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Quick reply, which may be wrong, but may help. I responded as you need some reply very fast

If you had your 1PW keychain stored in your Dropbox folder and deleted that folder, it will be gone. But maybe the Dropbox folder is still in the Trash or in a Time Machine backup, and can be restored. And you can access Dropbox via the Web if you know your Dropbox password (or can use their recovery procedure). Even deleted files are kept for thirty days and can be restored.

To help more, I reckon we need to know more about what you mean by "I deleted Dropbox:.

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for your reply! I did delete the Dropbox folder for 1Password. I thought that 1Password would still be on my computer, especially since the icon was still there. I didn't know Dropbox would keep files for 30 days. I hadn't use Time Machine since I only did all of this today. And my backups are out of date, too. :-( I will try to checking into Dropbox and seeing if I can go online and restore it. Thanks again!

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

Danco, thank you! It worked in seconds! I simply undeleted it at dropbox.com and checked and everything is back! OMG, I thought I was going to stroke and you saved me! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

Now, anyone know how I can get Dropbox to actually sync my 1Password file to my iPhone? My iPhone still has my old, out-of-date files only. I have 'Sync with Dropbox' on my iPhone and have clicked on 'Sync Now' and no changes are made to the old files on my iPhone. ;-)

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, I do want everyone to know that despite this issue, which I admit was because of my own ignorance, I love 1Password! As I've said, I have used it for a very long time and I use it every single day. It is awesome! I will never be without it. Hi 5 to 1Password! And the people on this forum are great, too! Thanks again, Danco!!! You're my savior!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the very kind words, @DebCC! I'm so glad @danco was able to help. (Thanks, danco!) :) :) :)

Have you ever had Dropbox syncing set up and working in 1Password on your iOS device(s) before, or is this the first time you are trying to set it up? Was it previously working and only recently started giving you trouble?

To get Dropbox syncing set up on your iPhone, can you tell me what version of 1Password you have installed on your iPhone? Which of these icons matches the one you are seeing? Notice that the difference between the first two is the silver band around the edge of the icon.

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Khad! I have never had Dropbox on any device until today. It seems to work fine for everything except 1Password. The icon that I have on my iPhone looks like the middle icon in your post, the one with the silver band.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have some good news and bad news.

The bad news is that there was a cut off date back on April 1 for some changes that Dropbox made to the way apps like 1Password authenticate. That means that if you haven't previously set up Dropbox syncing in the version of 1Password that you current have installed (version 3), then it is no longer possible to set it up in that older version.

The good news is that the new version of 1Password (version 4) came out all the way back in December (months before Dropbox made this change) and has been ready for the change since it was released. So if you purchase the new version of 1Password, not only will you be able to set up Dropbox syncing very easily, but you will also get the hundreds of new features in version 4 including iCloud syncing, rich icons, custom fields, password generator on every password field, swipe actions, favorites, tabbed browsing, global search, dedicated Web Mode, attachment viewing, faster Dropbox syncing, iTunes file sharing, auto-clear clipboard, and more.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer, but we tried to warn folks about this on our blog before it was too late. I hope you will find the new version of 1Password a worthwhile investment even apart from the Dropbox syncing issue.

If you have any questions whatsoever, please don't hesitate to let me know. I would be happy to provide further details.

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

So after paying for 1Password for all my devices once, I have to do it again? If so, I'm not happy about that! Is there, at least, a discount for those who have already paid a good amount for this program for all their devices?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I completely understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't be happy either. Sadly, it was not anything we had any control over. It was a change Dropbox made. We tried to notify folks as best as possible, but we knew that there would still be cases like your own where Dropbox was never previously set up and thus would now be impossible to set up in version 3.

Please email us with a link to this thread, and we will see how we can best help in your case. Apple doesn't allow discounts on the App Store, so we are not able to provide one there, but there are other ways we can help if you contact us via email:

support@ agilebits .com

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

I will. Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! If you haven't received a reply yet I know you will soon.

This discussion has been closed.