Archiving an entire vault

Options
SOPHEC
SOPHEC
Community Member

Hi team!

I can't see any other discussions past 2018 regarding the ability to archive an entire vault rather than a workaround (i.e. removing it from all vaults)/archiving items one-by-one within a vault.

Is there a reason this hasn't been implemented and if not, is this in the pipeline?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• ag_max
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @SOPHEC,

Although it isn't possible to archive an entire vault, you can archive items within it, which will ensure these items are not shown as autofill suggestions, just as you mentioned in your post. I'm not aware of any current plans to bring this to 1Password.

There is a manual way to treat a vault as archived. You can add a prefix to each vault you intend to archive to alert users the information in these vaults is for record keeping purposes, or similar (not to be actively used).

An account owner could also remove any group or user access to ensure the information within these vaults is only available to other account owners or administrators:

That said, I would also like to share your feedback to our Product team as a feature request. I understand having the ability to officially mark a vault as archived would save a lot of time and manual actions required to accomplish the above.

ref: pb-33047848

• SOPHEC
    SOPHEC
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your prompt response!

It would definitely be more efficient for agencies such as ours in situations such as when a client leaves or a project is on hold, we can archive the whole lot all at once.

Thanks for passing this on :)

• ag_max
    Options

Happy to assist, and thanks for sharing your helpful request and extra feedback.

Let our team know if we can be of any help with anything else in the future.

• dazzur
    dazzur
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to +1 @SOPHEC as I too have lots of client vaults that are not needed in my everyday list - but are necessary to keep in the archive; but the manual effort required to manually move everything one-by-one far outweighs the benefit.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

@dazzur

I've let the team know you'd also be interested in this feature.

ref: PB-33047848

• znb
    znb
    Community Member
    Options

If the issue is that archiving items one-by-one is time consuming-- there's a faster way:
    In the 1password desktop app, click on the the vault to see the list of items. Use ctrl+A to highlight all. Then right click and select "archive items".

It's not as good as archiving a vault (big +1 to this feature request), but at least it clears out the autofill clutter without deleting data.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@znb

Thank you for posting the tip about archiving multiple items at the same time using the desktop app. 🙂

If you're looking to avoid seeing filling suggestions from a particular vault then you can hide that vault from 1Password in the browser:

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    2. Click Settings.
    3. Click Accounts and vaults.
    4. De-select that vaults that you don't want to see.

That being said, I've passed along your request to be able to archive a vault to the team.

-Dave

ref: PB-37026837

• celos
    celos
    Community Member
    edited January 22
    Options

I want to add my vote to being able to archive a vault. I added my mother’s vault to my 1P account after she died so I could wind down her affairs.

Now I’d like to be able to still have access to those passwords if I ever need them without having to remember which individual password was hers in amongst all the other archived items in my account. In many cases I also have a password for that site in my active items.

I do have a collection set up that excludes that vault. And I have it unchecked. But oftentimes when invoking 1P from an app on iOS, it opens to my whole account, not just the default collection. If I could archive that particular vault I could access it if needed without it coming up with some regularity.

• @celos

Thank you for the feedback. You can choose which collection iOS AutoFill uses when invoking 1Password from inside of another app:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for iOS.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings. (If you’re using an iPad, tap your account or collection at the top of the sidebar.)
    3. Tap **AutoFill*.
    4. Tap "Show filling suggestions from" and choose the desired collection.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

-Dave

• celos
    celos
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, I was unaware of that setting. Thank you for illuminating it. I hope it solves most of the immediate need. I would still vote for vault archiving as a feature.

• Thanks for giving that a try @celos I'll get this suggestion on over to the products team.

ref: PB-37927587

• CorgiBike
    CorgiBike
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add a vote. I hoped to archive my ex's passwords and not see her name, barring recovery. It would be nice if the archive was separated by vault also.

For now, I've renamed the vault to something not triggering, and tagged with her name and then archived in case organization is ever added to the archive via tags. I use tags less than vaults, and rarely go into my archive, so this works for now.

If I could export just her vault as a 1PW file (not just a .csv), that would work too (as I could then delete her vault), but the last I checked that wasn't possible either.

• johnnyfish
    johnnyfish
    Community Member
    Options

It would be helpful to have a "Hide" option for vault items on the desktop app, even if it doesn't truly "archive" the entire vault.

• SamerY1P
    edited February 20
    Options

@CorgiBike and @johnnyfish

Thanks for sharing your ideas! I've passed them along to our product team to have a look at.

In the meantime, when using the 1Password desktop and mobile apps, you can create a collection to choose which vaults you’d like to see and search through at any given time. When using a collection, you won’t see results from any vaults that aren’t part of that collection.

Collections aren’t available in 1Password for the browser but you can still hide specific vaults by following these steps:

1. Open your browser
    2. Right-click the 1Password icon within your browser's toolbar and click Settings
    3. On the lefthand sidebar, click Accounts & Vaults

You can uncheck vaults here, which will hide those vaults within 1Password in your browser.

Let me know how you get on with that!

-Samer

ref: PB-38353345 & PB-38354010

• phillipc
    phillipc
    Community Member
    Options

when using this in a larger, business context, you need this sort of feature to archive entire vaults, not individual items.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@phillipc

Thank you for the feedback! I'll make sure to pass your request to the team as well, can you tell me a little more about a scenario where you might need to archive an entire vault in your business? That will help me to file a more complete request on your behalf. 🙂

-Dave

• phillipc
    phillipc
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P thanks for the reply.

For context, vaults are utilised to segment permissions/access and improved accessibility/layout of where credentials are. Vaults hold many different credentials and typically a good handful of accounts in each vault.

We have scenarios where a PoC implementation has completed for a customer, therefore, a vault is then archived, but may need restoring if the customer wants to pick back up or resume any PoC work.

From a more recent experience, a customer with about a dozen environments (vaults) have been consolidated into 2-3 environments (vaults). So whilst the redundant vault contents should therefore be 'safe' to be deleted, archiving provides a safer alternative if any old access should be needed in the following X timeframe.

Archiving an entire vault when you have many accounts is incredibly handy, saving clicks and time when you need to restore.

Hope that helps!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@phillipc

Thank you for the detailed use case! I've filed a feature request on your behalf with our product team and included those details. They'll consider adding the feature to future versions of 1Password.

While I can't make any promises, I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback so that we can make 1Password better for everyone.

-Dave

ref: PB-38638477

• coehlinha
    coehlinha
    Community Member
    Options

adding my vote for an option to archive an entire vault, please! just changed jobs and it would be great to put all the old passwords in deep storage for a few months until I'm ready to delete them.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 31
    Options

It's not an official method but I changed the vault name and archived everything in it leaving only a single Secure note. It's my workaround for not being able to archive an entire vault. The note serves to protect me from myself and me forgetting why it (vault) exists.

I'd love to see a better method for doing this. i'm also part of the feature request. :)