Please consider integrating 1Password as a Credential Provider on macOS.

Options
martijnvdwal
martijnvdwal
Community Member
edited March 11 in Mac

For my personal life I am using iCloud Keychain to store my passwords and passkeys, for work we use 1Password and I am quite fond of using it. But I do have something I would like to see improved.

Ever since iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma, developers can now integrate with the system as a Credential Provider, what is that? It is a way to provide credentials like passwords, but more importantly, passkeys to the system, the user will then see all the credentials for a given site from all their password managers, it's really handy! The great thing is, you have already implemented this for the iOS app.

See below how the system UI for credentials came up to let me sign in with a passkey from 1Password:

Screenshot from iOS that shows a sign-in UI where 1Password offers a credential.

But sadly, macOS does not get this same feature, instead a browser extension is offered, which works fine, but Apple's popup always pops up first, in my experience anyway. During passkey authentication this is an annoyance: the websites request I sign in with a passkey, so the System UI comes up, but does not find any passkey in iCloud Keychain. So I dismiss the popup, after which the website considers it a failed request. So I have to click the button to try again, and then 1Password comes up with the found passkey.

Another effect is on regular passwords, I have two personal Google account and one for work, this is what happens when I want to sign in with a password:

Screenshot that shows Google sign in website with iCloud Keychain overlapping 1Password's browser extension UI.

Needles to say, it's a mess. The system UI always comes above 1Password and it is frustrating. Apparently the system UI can be dismissed with the esc key, but most won't know this "hack".

So please, consider at least giving us the option of integrating 1Password on macOS Sonoma as a Credential Provider like you do on iOS 17. I think it will result in much more seamless experience, one without hacks to use one or the other.

PS: I have checked that Make 1Password the default password manager in this browser, Offer to fill and save passwords, and Offer to save and sign in with passkeys are all enabled within the extension.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.27 (81027003)
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: macOS 14.4 (23E214)
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @martijnvdwal! 👋

Thank you for the detailed feedback! I'm not personally aware of plans to support macOS AutoFill and the team is focused on 1Password in the browser and Universal AutoFill. I believe that macOS AutoFill doesn't offer support for many of 1Password's features such as its advanced filling brain, password generator, masked email aliases, sign in with, and more. That being said, I've passed your request along to the team internally.

For the time being, 1Password isn't designed to be used alongside another password manager in the same browser and I would usually recommend using different browsers for work and personal matters. You could continue to use Safari for personal things and try another browser like Chrome or Firefox for work. This would also allow you to keep personal and work matters separate.

I also wanted to mention that, if your workplace is using 1Password for Business, then you might be eligible for a free 1Password membership for you and your family: Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business

Thanks again for the suggestion. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-38634947

• martijnvdwal
    martijnvdwal
    Community Member
    Options

Well, passwords go beyond the browser @Dave_1P. Many apps are launching web browser windows to let you sign in. On macOS this is just a WebKit browser window, without any plugins. In this case when a passkey is requested, ONLY the system can respond and any passkeys saved in 1Password would not be available to use.

Additionally, apps could want to let you sign in with a passkey directly, without a browser window. This is another situation in which 1Password is not able to provide the passkey, because the it doesn't integrate with the system.

It's just sad to see 1Password doesn't want to integrate with the system and leave users without the ability to sign in with passkeys in certain situations. Passkeys should be available whenever a user needs them, not only when the browser extension is installed.

• Dave_1P
    edited April 1
    Options

@martijnvdwal

Thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate that you took the time to voice your thoughts and I've passed them along to the appropriate team.

For the time being, for apps/browsers that don't support 1Password, you can use 1Password on your mobile device to sign in to the app or website by choosing iPhone, iPad, or Android device and then scanning the resulting QR code using your mobile device's camera:

This will allow you to use your saved passkey in 1Password to sign in to the service or app in question. I hope that helps.

-Dave