Setting up 1Password on immutable Linux

Options
PhatLe
PhatLe
Community Member
edited March 11 in Linux

i post instruction here how i managed to install 1Password on Fedora Silverblue immutable system and i works and syncs with CLI and Browser extenssion no Flatpaks on this one

to get aeveryhting working you need to have some exerience on immutables and rpm-ostree with layering everyhting around core

lets start on browser on here i use Goggle Chrome so i downloaded Goggle Chrome .RPM package from google.

next steps are on Terminal go to your Downloads folder input ls and see the downloaded package is there then input " sudo rpm-ostree install google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm " full package name and rpm-ostree starts layering process

after that your system need to be restarted to get everyhting finalized so restart

now you have Google chrome layered and no permission issues as Flatpaks usually have

next steps are to download 1Password .RPM and 1Password CLI .RPM

then again on Terminal go to Downloads folder use " sudo rpm-ostree install 1password-latest.rpm "
after layering reboot again

then again terminal go to Downloads Folder and use " sudo rpm-ostree install 1password-cli-latest.x86_64.rpm "
and reboot

now you have all layered and have proper/full permissions so add extennsion to browser and start logging in to your account after that you can follow steps here to enable 1Password CLI
https://developer.1password.com/docs/cli/get-started/

you can forget step 1 since we just did that already start on step 2

then enjoy your connections and 1password and 1password CLI all working

if you want to use 1Password and 1password CLI on Visual studio Code you need to use same method as installing 1password Download VScode .RPM and run it with rpm-ostree
this method again gives all permissions to use it even working build in terminal that again Flatpaks don't give

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: Fedora Silverblue
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• PhatLe
    PhatLe
    Community Member
    Options

update on this well there is even easier way for now to achieve this one as installing on downloaded RPM files it puts them on local files and does not automatically install updates so all updates need to manually achieve.

so adding manually repositorys and enable those and then installing from repository using rpm-ostree install 1password and 1password-cli it will layer those to image

third option is to use distrobox, but there is some more steps since inside distrobox you need to add and enable repositorys then install apps and final step is to export them to desktop example distrobox-export --app 1password it will create app to atomic desktop and then works as normal containerized, but on this method you need to have vscode, chrome etc installed to distrobox if you want to get all synced and working

• PhatLe
    PhatLe
    Community Member
    Options

"update on this well there is even easier way for now to achieve this one as installing on downloaded RPM files it puts them on local files and does not automatically install updates so all updates need to manually achieve.

so adding manually repositorys and enable those and then installing from repository using rpm-ostree install 1password and 1password-cli it will layer those to image"

for this i found a way to move everyhthing to layered from local. So after you have installed locally RPM packages -> restart -> run command rpm-ostree update --uninstall 1password.xx.xx.xx --install 1password
    this will update rpm-ostree tree and removes local package and re-installs 1password from repo as layered

you can see all details on installed local packages using rpm-ostree status

• FrankyO1P
    Options

Hi @PhatLe,

Thanks for sharing these steps and findings!

Franky