Why can I search within notes in iOS but not in macOS?

Options
gregarios
gregarios
Community Member

I need to be able to search through long lists of items I have saved in individual notes. I can do this in iOS but not in the macOS interface it seems. Why?

Searching in macOS only reveals the note the item occurs in, and does not highlight the places in the note where it occurs.

Very disappointed, but maybe I'm not seeing how to do it, even with my 36 years of Mac experience?

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS 13.6.6
Browser: n/a

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @gregarios! 👋

Thank you for reaching out. Both 1Password 8 on iOS as well as on the Mac are able to search through a Secure Note but they won't highlight the search term in the Secure Note item itself.

I can let the team know that this is something that you'd like to see added to 1Password but are you able to post a screenshot of what you're seeing when using 1Password for iOS so that I can make sure that I understand your request?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• gregarios
    gregarios
    Community Member
    edited April 1
    Options

Yes, you can search inside a note with highlighting. See my screenshot attached. If your note is too big for your screen you can click the “read more” link and it opens the note n a new window with a “find” at the top you can use to find things!

• gregarios
    gregarios
    Community Member
    Options

ONLY in iOS however

• gregarios
    gregarios
    Community Member
    Options

• c4jeff
    c4jeff
    Community Member
    Options

Have been asking for this functionality in macOS for years, we're still stuck using 1password 7 because we can't function as a business without the ability to search within notes. We always get the same reply that they'll pass it on to their team. One time my boss spoke to someone on the phone who said we were doing it wrong and shouldn't use notes like we are and should just make individual items for each and every thing, which is nice but doesn't help us after years of doing it how we want to. Since there's the "Find" option when using the iOS app we know this is possible, but after years of begging for it seems like we'll never be able to stop using 1password 7.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@gregarios and @c4jeff

Thank you for the feedback. Searching within notes and having the search term highlighted in 1Password for Mac would be a useful feature for many and, while I can't make any promises, I've filed feature requests for both of you with our Product team internally.

-Dave

ref: PB-39114236
    ref: PB-39114272

• c4jeff
    c4jeff
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave, you guys have been filing feature requests for me since at least 2022, would really love this feature in the Mac app of 1password 8. At least can do this in the iOS app like how @gregarios showed in the screenshots above, but doesn't make sense not also possible in the Mac app. Or even the way we can do in version 7 where you edit the note and then can do a CMD+F to search within it that way would be fine.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@c4jeff

Thanks for the continued feedback, my colleagues and I always pass along your feature requests to the Product team for consideration. Which features are built, and how quickly, is based on a variety of different factors but the team does seriously consider each request.

Hopefully a feature like this is added to the 1Password 8 for Mac app in the future. 🙂

-Dave