change generated password

Options
LindaY
LindaY
Community Member
edited April 3 in 1Password in the Browser

I attempted to generate a pw for a new site, but the site only wanted letters and numbers (no special characters). Is there a way to generate a pw with certain criteria? Also, I have had other sites reject the generated pw because it was too long.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• TimG1P
    Options

Hi @LindaY

When using 1Password in the browser to create strong and unique passwords, I recommend using the Smart Password generator. This utilizes several resources such as the Password Manager Resources project and the website's own passwordrules HTML attribute. You can learn more about this in our blog post about it:

If you're finding that the password generated does meet specific criteria, could you let me know on which specific websites you're seeing this behaviour? I can do some testing on my end and share feedback with the team to see if any improvements can be made on our end.

In the meantime, you can manually adjust the password generator for 1Password in the browser when generating a new password on the website with the following steps:
    1. Navigate to the page where a password needs to be generated.
    2. When you see the inline menu suggestion to "Use Suggested Password", instead click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar to open the overlay.
    3. Select the Generate Password option.
    4. Click on Type and then select the appropriate type. "Smart Password" is typically selected by default and in this particular case I suggest using "Random Password".
    5. Adjust the criteria to the website's requirements.
    6. When you're satisfied with the generated password, select the Autofill button to use the password.

Using the 1Password password generator

You can also learn more about the password generator in our article on how to:

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to assist you further.

• LindaY
    LindaY
    Community Member
    Options

Tim,
    Thank you for answering my question. I am fairly new to 1PW and apparently haven't learned all the intricacies. Thank you for putting an image in your reply because I looked at it and realized I'd never seen that and couldn't find it from the taskbar icon. When I opened 1PW from the toolbar I found where to open menu for PW generator.
    What is the difference between how I saved 1PW?

• TimG1P
    edited April 5
    Options

Hi @LindaY

Welcome to 1Password, glad to have you here. The shortcut found in your browser's toolbar is for 1Password in the browser, which is a convenient way to fill and save your logins as it's able to see what website you're currently visiting and present corresponding suggestions.

I'd like to encourage you to get to know 1Password a little better by visiting our support articles. Here are a few I can recommend as a start:

If you have any thoughts or questions, I’d be happy to hear back from you.