Edge browser extension keeps corrupting

Options

Periodically my 1Password browser extension in Edge becomes corrupted. It disappears from my toolbar and when I go to Manage Extensions, it tells me it is corrupted. I click on Repair and it re-downloads the extension. Then it is fine for a while (a few days - a week) and then corrupts again. I have tried removing the extension entirely and re-installing it, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I am on the latest version of Windows 11, with the latest extension version. I do NOT have this problem in either Chrome or Firefox, only with Edge. Appreciate any assistance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Edge

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @bobnanski! 👋

I'm sorry that you're seeing a message that the 1Password extension in the Edge browser is corrupted. Would you be able to post a screenshot of the error message just so that I have that reference? That being said, can you tell me the following:

1. Are you using any security software or extensions that might be modifying 1Password's app or extension files?
    2. Is your Windows PC managed by your workplace? Or is it a personal PC?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• bobnanski
    bobnanski
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,
    I have to wait for the issue to occur again, and as soon as it does I will post a screenshot
    in answer to your questions:

1. No. I don't believe so
    2. This is a personal PC

Thanks!

• bobnanski
    bobnanski
    Community Member
    Options

So it happened again today and here is the screen shot you requested. I first see that the 1Password icon is missing from my Edge toolbar. I go into Manage Extensions and see the following:

If I click "Repair" it basically just re-installs the extension and then it will be fine for an indefinite amount of time.
    Thanks for any assistance!

• dtguktf
    dtguktf
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also seeing this issue on my users' computers.
    We do have security software but it is only happening on a small number of machines.

Repairing the extension resolves the issue again but this is the third time for one particular user.

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello @bobnanski, @dtguktf! Thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're both encountering with 1Password in the browser.

So that I can take a closer look at the issue you’re experiencing, I’d like to request that you send us some information to support+forum@1Password.com.

With your email please include:

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I’ll be able to locate your message and make sure it’s gotten to the right place.

We look forward to assisting you further.

-Evon

• bobnanski
    bobnanski
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information. My only concern is that I cannot reproduce the problem at will so you could conceivably have a very large console log before the issue decides to happen.; If that is not a problem I will send that info when it occurs. Thanks!

• TimG1P
    Options

Hi @bobnanski

Console logs are cleared when a browser session ends so it's best to collect them right after the issue occurs and before repairing or reinstalling the extension.

As a troubleshooting test, would you be willing to temporarily install the 1Password extension from the Chrome Web Store and not the Microsoft Edge Add-ons store? Extensions from the Chrome Web Store are compatible with the Microsoft Edge browser and this would tell me more about the issue so that I could investigate further. You can find 1Password in the Chrome Web Store here:: Chrome Web Store: 1Password – Password Manager

ref: dev/core/core#24395

• RyH
    RyH
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same behavior on several machines in our environment also. We have only one other extension deployed and prevent the installation of other extensions. Updates and browser crashes/restarts seem to trigger the issue.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@RyH

I'm sorry that you're seeing the same issue. So that our team can investigate this further can you please send the following to support+forum@1Password.com:

1. A JSON export of any policies applied to Edge from edge://policy/
    2. The following version information from the device where the issue occurred last:
    • Operating system
    • Microsoft Edge browser
    • 1Password extension
    1. A link to this thread.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave