Using the Mozilla-Firefox 1Password extension in Ghostery Browser on MacOS and Win 11

Options

Hello All,
The 1Password extension appears to install ok when I install it in the Ghostery Browser on both MacOS and Win 11. In the setup I chose the option to integrate with the 1password desktop app but it still appears to force me to login to my main 1password account. I did unlock the desktop prior before trying it. I was a bit hesitant to just login to my main 1password account as I have to expose my secret key during the login.

The behavior is a bit different when I install the extension from the Mozilla extension store on Firefox in that it does correctly integrate with my local desktop version of 1password.

Any tips or comments on this would be greatly appreciated. It could be that Ghostery is just not supported although I have used a few other extensions with not issues.

1passwords levels are the latest on Mac and Win. Win 11 and Sonoma are at the latest levels. All aforementioned software is at the latest levels.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @rickapel! 👋

Thank you for reaching out! While Firefox is a supported browser, Ghostery is not which means that app integration won't work out of the box and you'll need to sign in to 1Password in the browser separately from the desktop app.

That being said, as long as Ghostery's browser is code signed by Apple you can follow these steps to add it to 1Password for Mac:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password for Mac desktop app.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click Browser.
    5. Click Add Browser and choose your browser from the Applications folder.

While we hope to bring this feature to other platforms as well in the future, it will initially only be available on macOS. Also keep in mind that 1Password has only been tested and vetted on officially supported browsers.

Let me know how it goes. 🙂

-Dave