Using Google Password Manager and 1Password at the same time

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: google password covers 1password.

Comments

• adrian_dubock
    adrian_dubock
    Community Member
    Options

i have the same concern, which has been raised before with 1 Password, and not dealt with. I do not wish to turn off the google system as its very useful. But i want 1 Password not to be obscured by Google Password suggestions. You in 1 Password can't control Google, but presumable you can control where 1Password's popup box is located on teh screen so that is not under Google's box?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@adrian_dubock

Thank you for reaching out. My recommendation is that you only use one password manager in your browser. Even if the suggestion menus didn't conflict you can still potentially run into issues where you would be accidentally saving/updating logins in the wrong password manager and creating duplicates: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Out of curiosity, why are you storing some passwords in the built-in password and other passwords in 1Password? It's easier to store everything in 1Password so that you have access to all of your items in one place. I'd be happy to pass along your use case to the team once I know more details.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• adrian_dubock
    adrian_dubock
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. Before i used 1Password, i agreed to Google saving some passwords. I don't want to use google for password management at all, now. But it seems that Googles set up combines password management with other website management tools which i don't think 1 Password duplicates. It's pretty disruptive to have to try to move everything to 1Pass if it doesn't work! Isn't there a simpler solution which 1Pass can control - like having your password window popping up in a different place to Googles?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@adrian_dubock

Thanks for the reply. Could you clarify a little further by what you mean by "with other website management tools"? If you don't want to use Google for password management then why not move all of the passwords stored in Google to 1Password and then delete them from Google? That would prevent Google password manager suggestions from appearing in the password field even if you still want Google prompts to appear for other fields.

Would you it be possible for you to post a screenshot of what you're seeing so that I can better understand the situation?

Isn't there a simpler solution which 1Pass can control - like having your password window popping up in a different place to Googles?

I can pass this suggestion along to the team, where would you like to see the suggestion from 1Password appear instead? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• adrian_dubock
    adrian_dubock
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. In answer to your question "where would you like to see the suggestion from 1Password appear instead?" The answer is anywhere in the field of view where Google pw manager doesn't appear.

With respect to your first suggestion; you may be correct, but for non-technical people deleting or turning off things can have unintended consequences, so it's risky. 1Pass doesn't diminish its attractiveness by appearing somewhere it is is not obscured by Google's offer.

• Dave_1P
    edited April 8
    Options

@adrian_dubock

Non-technical users especially should only use one password manager at a time since all sorts of issues, that can be tough to untangle, can occur when using multiple password managers in the same browser.

I'm not a developer so I'm not sure if browser extensions, like 1Password, are able to detect the Google Password Manager prompt. It doesn't feel right to move the 1Password menu to a less convenient place for every user, especially if they're not using another password manager, since it will mean that folks will need to re-learn where to look for 1Password in the browser.

That being said, I've passed your request along to the team internally so that they can see if this is a use case that 1Password can better support in the future. Thank you for the feedback and request! 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-39181509

• adrian_dubock
    adrian_dubock
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. I think 1 Password users will find the 1password box to use where-ever it is in the visible field. So thanks for passing the idea on to your more technical colleagues. Let's see if between us we can make 1Pass even more useful and overcome the hegemony of Google! (Google is very useful - i use Google all the time, but don't want to use it for password management. I prefer 1Password! Best wishes, Adrian

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thanks again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave