Trusted Browser Support - Windows

Options
tjurgens
tjurgens
Community Member
edited February 7 in 1Password in the Browser

Good Day! Is there any word on when trusted browser support will be available for the Windows version? I am using Floorp as my browser (I wanted a Firefox/Gecko based browser that supports Workspaces) but the Desktop app doesn't integrate with Floorp, nor is there any way to add it as a trusted browser.

It appears this feature to add a trusted browser is only available for Mac, so I am curious when it will be made available for Windows as well?

1Password Version: 8.10.26
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Floorp

Comments

• kevin.li
    edited February 7
    Options

Hi @tjurgens,

I’m sorry that you cannot integrate 1Password with the Floorp browser on Windows currently. While I’m not able to provide an exact date on when the custom browsers feature will be implemented for other platforms, it is something that the team is hoping to do in the future.

I have filed a feature request on your behalf to bring the feature to Windows and our product team will prioritize the request accordingly. I appreciate your patience and support of 1Password.

In the meantime, you can keep 1Password up-to-date and watch 1Password Releases for the latest news about updates for the feature.

-Kevin

ref: PB-38185938

• tjurgens
    tjurgens
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @kevin.li . I was disappointed to see this feature seems to have been available for Mac for months, but Windows lags behind. I'm hoping we can see that integration soon, it would be a huge plus for me (and I'm sure others).

• Hi @tjurgens,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I totally understand your frustration. You're absolutely right, as a Windows user myself, I would love to see the feature being brought to Windows, as well as many other Windows users. Hopefully, that day won't be far away.

Thank you for your understanding and support of 1Password.

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on Floorp support in Windows?

• TimG1P
    Options

Hi @HinghamHarborMan

While I'm not personally aware of any plans to add browser support on a case by case basis, I've shared your thoughts with the team.

The option of allowing users to connect the 1Password for Windows app to the 1Password browser extension installed in browsers that are outside of the officially supported list, like Floorp, is something that the team hopes to release in the future. Although I don’t have any timelines to share, I recommend keeping 1Password up to date and checking our release notes in anticipation:

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

ref: PB-39108347

• Werner85
    Werner85
    Community Member
    Options

Another request to add the "Extra trusted browsers" feature to 1Password on Windows and Linux.
    I for example want to use the security focused Librewolf (Firefox fork), but since I am using 1Password I cannot switch to Librewolf.

If it takes really long to add that feature, I might switch to another password manager. Because 1Password is basically limiting me in using a browser I want.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Werner85

Thank you for reaching out. You should already be able to use 1Password in the browser with LibreWolf (by installing the Firefox extension) but integration between the desktop app and the browser extension won't work which means that you'll need to unlock the browser extension separately using your account password rather than using biometrics or system authentication (for Linux).

1Password for Linux does already have a custom_allowed_browsersfile that allows you to add additional browsers but it looks like that doesn't always work for LibreWolf. Since LibreWolf isn't a supported browser it's possible that you might run into this issue but instructions on how to create the custom_allowed_browsersfile can be found here.

That all being said, I've filed a feature request to let the team know that you'd like to see us bring the trusted browsers feature to Windows and Linux in the future.

-Dave

ref: PB-39219257

• Werner85
    Werner85
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,

Thanks for your reply. I know installing the extension works, it’s the fact that it can’t communicate with the Windows App that’s bothering me.

No Windows Hello (pin/fingerprint) support in the extension.

I think this trusted browser feature should work on all platforms. In the first place to have a unified experience across all platforms.

I hope the team can add this feature soon. I’d like to be able to choose/switch the browser I want, without the 1Password extension not working or losing it’s best functionality. Mullvad Browser is another example with a half functioning extension.

• Dave_1P
    edited April 10
    Options

@Werner85

Thanks again for the feedback. Different platforms have different technical challenges and opportunities and the feature needs to be built specifically for each platform. The team is happy to hear about all of the positive feedback for the feature in the 1Password for Mac app and hopes to bring the feature to other platforms in the future. 🙂

-Dave

• akAeextRJPrTkizgHsCK
    akAeextRJPrTkizgHsCK
    Community Member
    Options

Hi another vote from me. I was trying to figure out how to use 1password with Floorp and dived into this rabbit hole. surprised that this feature is not available on Windows

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to ask for support for custom browsers as well. I'd like to try that new Arc browser because reports sound interesting. However I will never use any browser without full 1Password integration, so I wouldn't actually consider trying that other browser. No matter how useful and better it might come out than my current browser.

• raworange
    raworange
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote from me. This needs to be added- there are so many browsers out there, and being limited by 1Password's integration is certainly frustrating. Thank you for continuing to improve your product!

• ag_tommy
    edited May 1
    Options

Thanks folks. I'll let the team know there is a great deal of interest in this becoming available.

ref: PB-39555773
    ref: PB-39555741
    ref: PB-39555698