Export work related vault

Options
ralmin
ralmin
Community Member

I have two vaults, one personal and the other work related. My company has asked employees to start using their provided password manager, so I would like to export my work related vault. However the exported 1PUX or CSV files include items from all my vaults. The exported CSV doesn't even have a field to say which vault each item came from. How can I export the work related vault?

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @ralmin! 👋

Thanks for the question! If your employer is also using 1Password then you can add both your personal and work 1Password accounts to the 1Password for Windows app and then copy your items over to the new work account: Move or copy items

If your employer is using a different password manager then you will indeed need to export your work vault to a CSV of 1PUX file. There currently isn't a way to just export a single vault using the options in the app but I do have a workaround using Travel Mode that will allow you to export just your work vault and not your personal vault:

1. Use Travel Mode to temporarily remove all but the vault that you'd like to export: Use Travel Mode to remove vaults from your devices when you travel
    2. Use the 1Password desktop app to export data to a CSV or 1PUX: How to export your data from the 1Password desktop app
    3. Confirm that the CSV/1PUX file only contains data from the vault that you'd like to export and share.
    4. Turn off Travel Mode so that all of your vaults appear in the desktop app again.

Let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

-Dave

• ralmin
    ralmin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave, that is a clever workaround. Actually in the meantime I found another workaround by which I was able to achieve my goal. I found the 1PUX file is actually a ZIP archive that contains a JSON file with the data broken down by vault. I was able to rename and unzip the file, edit the JSON to remove the vaults I didn’t want to migrate, then re-ZIP the folder and rename it back to 1PUX, then successfully import it to the other password manager. However I wouldn’t really recommend this because in the ZIP was also a folder of attachment and I guess icon image files which wasn’t split by vault. Most of my attachments were just license files or work related anyway so I didn’t mind removing the few other files from there manually.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ralmin

I'm happy that you were able to find a solution that worked for you. I've let the team know that you would find a selective vault export option useful if it was included in the app in the future. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 38701911

• SFO
    SFO
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to echo that sentiment. There really does need to be a way to export individual vaults or categories, (like I want to export just my software licenses) which is useful for administrative purposes.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@SFO

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-39253775