1Password 8 icon location in mac menu bar not remembered between app startups

Options
Jamsk
Jamsk
Community Member

I'm having the same issue that was reported here back in February 2022:
https://1password.community/discussion/127483/macos-menu-bar-icon-doesnt-remember-location-when-moved

You can move an icon in the mac menu bar by holding cmd and dragging. This is really useful because you can get the most used ones at the end that doesn't get obscured by programs with wider menu sets. 1Password is a critical program, so I like to have it on the far right closer to the clock.

In the Feb 2022 post the response was:

"The 1Password 8 menubar icon not remembering its position is something that our developers are investigating and I've added your report to the internal work item that we have open for this. Thanks for reporting the issue!"

Just wondering if this is a regression, because I don't remember noticing this until very recently, and is there a way to make this function correctly, or will there be a fix soon?

1Password Version: 8.10.6 (81006027)
Extension Version: 2.10.0 (20246)
OS Version: macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey)
Browser:_ Mainly Firefox 113.0.1

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Jamsk! πŸ‘‹

Thank you for following up. This is still something that is on our developer's backlog to look into and I don't have any updates to share at the moment. When, or if, the issue is fixed it'll be noted in our release notes: 1Password Releases

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that the issue is causing.

-Dave

• 1bvr
    1bvr
    Community Member
    Options

I went searching for this in the Community forum and found quite a few previous posts. Rather than make another duplicate, I noticed that this seems to be the most recent post about it.

I don't know if it helps if more people report it, but this has been the most frustrating unresolved issue I have with 1Password. It's the only app I have left that doesn't remember its menu bar position. Is there anything we can do to help raise attention to or raise the priority of this issue?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@1bvr

Thank you for the feedback. We always appreciate it when folks write in with their suggestions and I'll pass along your request regarding the menu bar icon to the team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#7325

• Jamsk
    Jamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting - this appears to have been quietly fixed (nothing obvious in the release notes) in the 8.10.8 (81008045) release (27th June). I hadn't realised at first, because that's what happens when a pain point vanishes! Thank you 1Password and @Dave_1P

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Jamsk

Thanks for the reply, I'm still seeing the issue on my Mac and the work item for the issue is still open with our development team. Can you try these steps:

1. Hold down the Command key and move the 1Password 8 menu bar icon over to the right between two other icons.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password menu bar icon and click Quit.
    3. Re-open 1Password from the Applications folder.

Is the 1Password icon in the position where you left it? Or is it the left-most icon in the menu bar?

-Dave

• Jamsk
    Jamsk
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P - yes, doing that it opens up on the left again afterwards as you say.

However, if I shutdown the computer and then start it up again (without manually quitting 1Password), it survives the restart and comes back in the place I left it. I'm pretty sure that every reboot it used to move to the left again, so - partial inadvertent fix?

The fact it remembers between restarts is all I really need - the manual quit and restart amnesia is annoying, but nowhere near as annoying as every single time you use your computer regression.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Jamsk

Thank you for the reply. I'm happy that things are working for you now when restarting or shutting down your Mac. πŸ™‚

The issue to have 1Password's icon remember its position when the app is manually closed and then reopened remains open and hopefully that will be fixed in the future as well.

-Dave

• Jamsk
    Jamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers @Dave_1P

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thanks again for your report. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• Jamsk
    Jamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Sadly @Dave_1P this has returned to it's previous bad behaviour and is now stubbournly always moved to the default left hand position on every startup. It seems a recent update broke it all over again. Presumably this is still on the to-do list to figure out a long term fix?

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Jamsk

Thanks for following up. The issue is indeed still open on our internal tracker for our developers to look into further.

-Dave

• Jamsk
    Jamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers @Dave_1P - good to know it's still on the list.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

Keep an eye on our release notes, when the issue is fixed it will be noted there: 1Password Releases πŸ™‚

-Dave

• Jamsk
    Jamsk
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers @Dave_1P - I do check out the release notes each time I manually update, but often it's auto-updated so I don't necessarily see them each time. I'll spot it when it eventually stays put though and go looking for those release notes to check! :)

• Sounds good! πŸ™‚

-Dave

• hnnnng
    hnnnng
    Community Member
    Options

Is there anything new here? I recently got a new M2 Mac and it's really annoying that 1Password (as some kind of premium app) can't manage to save its position, unlike all the other menubar items.

• @hnnnng

Thank you for the feedback. I don't have anything new to share but I've passed your comment along to the team so that they're aware that you'd like to see 1Password's menu bar icon remember its position.

-Dave

• cqo
    cqo
    Community Member
    Options

Bug resists as of Apr 2024, ridiculous you've had this bug report for TWO YEARS and yet it remains noted in your notebook instead of being fixed.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@cqo

Welcome to the community! I've shared your feedback with the team so that they're aware that you'd like to see the icon's position be remembered when 1Password completely closes.

-Dave

• Lance Lawton
    Lance Lawton
    Community Member
    Options

I'll just add my vote or bump to this one. I share the frustration expressed by others. I never like giving devs a hard time, and I've been a big 1PW fan since about v3. But it really does puzzle me that this one's been sitting on the list unfixed for so long. I have lots of menubar apps and this is the only one of them all that still can't hold it's position after reboot. I just don't get it. Sorry to moan, guys. But please ... πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™

• Dave_1P
    edited April 19
    Options

@Lance Lawton

Thank you for the feedback and I'm sorry for the continued frustration. I'll get this raised with the team again to see if any progress can be made.

-Dave