Is it finally time to move from 7 to 8?

Options
williakz
williakz
Community Member

I, like many others, stayed with 1Password 7 (MacOS and iOS) during the rocky rollout and functionality "fill out" of 1Password 8. Recommendations to "try" nightly betas to correct serious problems scared me off the upgrade on behalf of my family members (for whom I am the primary support if and when 1P problems crop up).

My question is whether 1Password 8 for Mac and iPhones is now sufficiently functional AND stable for me to switch my family to the new version. I have no issues with either the subscription model or standalone vaults or other hot-button marginalia. On the upgrade question, I especially value and appreciate user feedback over that of 1Password Support personnel (sorry folks in blue).

1Password Version: 7 now, 8 tomorrow?
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @williakz! 👋

I know that you said that you wanted feedback from other users, and that's completely fair, but I'll just add a quick comment since no one else has replied yet: 1Password 7 is no longer supported and is no longer being tested against new updates to iOS and macOS. 1Password 8 provides the best experience for the Mac, iPhone, and iPad going forward.

If you do decide to give 1Password 8 a try, you can revert back to 1Password 7 if you choose to. You can find our upgrade guide here: Upgrade to 1Password 8

I look forward to hearing what you think if you do decide to give 1Password 8 a try. 🙂

-Dave

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member
    edited April 27
    Options

I miss a ton of v7 functionality, and if it weren’t for particular key features in v8, I would have stayed back. For me, these keep me on v8:

• autofill support on iOS / integrated 2FA/passkey setup
    • passkey support across platforms
    • saving login-with associations (for the rest of the family, I don’t care for it)

And finally, probably the biggest reason :)

• Employer (and my paranoia) requires us to use supported software to save passwords.

My take: the ship has sailed on v7, and 1P has made it clear it is not going back. The electron app has weird browser like behavior sometimes that is non intuitive on a Mac too. If you can’t bear the regressions in v8 (and there are still a few mildly annoying ones as well as some remaining upsetting ones that could accidentally result in data corruption) then probably best to look into migrating elsewhere. For my personal use I’m already using bitwarden and my family will stay with 1P for as long as my employer sponsors the membership. For that reason, nobody in the family sets up passkeys to avoid the platform lock in

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your well-considered thoughts on issues attending the continued use of v7 vs migrating to v8. I'm not currently under external compulsion to make the change, and things appear pretty much where they were when I initially decided to revert (I did try v8 for a short time). Therefore I'll likely wait until either a key app or o/s "upgrade" sufficiently degrades 1Pv7's core functionality then I'll reluctantly make the move to 1Pv8. Thanks again for your time and effort in posting.