Windows Hello not working for 1Password application

Options
AntonMakarenko
AntonMakarenko
Community Member

I have recently upgraded my PC (including CPU and motherboard). After the upgrade Windows face recognition stopped working for the app. Every time I log in it says "enter password before you can use Windows Hello", but no face recognition prompt after entering my password. I probably should also mention that I use TPM for 1Password. I've tried reinstalling the app, but no help so far.

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: 2.22.1
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @AntonMakarenko! 👋

I'm sorry that sometimes the Windows Hello isn't working to unlock 1Password. As a first step, I suggest that you remove and then re-add all of your Windows Hello options, such as facial recognition, fingerprint and PIN. If the option to remove the PIN is greyed out, you may need to disable the option to “only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts” on this device first.

You can find your current Windows sign-in options using these steps:

1. In the Windows search bar, type “Account”, then select Manage Your Account
    2. Select Sign-In Options.
    3. Here you should find a list of your current sign-in options. Remove any Windows Hello-associated options, such as fingerprint, face, and PIN.
    4. Re-add any options you’d like to use as part of your Windows Hello setup.

Once that is done, you can follow this guide on using Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC.

Let me know if that doesn't resolve the issue and I can help further.

-Dave

• AntonMakarenko
    AntonMakarenko
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Looks like it helped. I tried to re-add my face, but that had no help. Looks like full Windows Hello reconfiguration (including PIN) was required. Thank you!

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy that the steps resolved the issue. Let me know if you do run into any other problems. 🙂

-Dave

• AntonMakarenko
    AntonMakarenko
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @Dave_1P

Unfortunately, the problem came back. It looks like resetting PIN and face recognition was only a temporary solution.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @AntonMakarenko! I'm sorry to hear that the problem came back. Could you email in to support+forum@1password.com with a diagnostics report from 1Password, so we can look into this further?

With your email please include:

Once you get a response with a Support ID, please post that number here so we can connect the dots. Thanks!

• AntonMakarenko
    AntonMakarenko
    Community Member
    Options

@1P_Gem here is support id number MXI-67316-639

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @AntonMakarenko, thanks for letting us know! We've received your email, and a member of the team will be in touch with you there shortly 😄

• John7951
    John7951
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue in Windows 10. Every time my PC locks, it breaks Windows Hello in 1Password. I have to turn off Windows Hello Face and then re-enable it. It only lasts one session - until my screen locks again. It is an older Dell XPS 8700

1Password for Windows 8.10.30 (81030032)

Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 22H2
    Installed on ‎4/‎10/‎2023
    OS build 19045.4355
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0

Device name xxxxxx
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
    Installed RAM 32.0 GB
    Device ID 1873D8D8-F68F-4E47-A76E-75B98D9B50B3
    Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA048
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

• Dave_1P
    Options

@John7951

I'm sorry that Windows Hello is intermittently failing to unlock 1Password on your Windows device as well. If you've already tried the steps that I posted earlier, found here, then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave