Generating a password on iOS

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: A password generator.

Comments

• Brobson
    Brobson
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, the functionality request is for ease of use when on a website or app that is asking to set up a password. The steps currently outlined for 1Password are not as simple on some sites as one would think. A competitor product called Lastpass, when in the "create a password" space, once clicking on its icon in the password space, will provide the option to only generate a password and provide parameters that can be changed to meet specific demands of the security settings and the user preferences. Once completed with the rest of the required information on the site or app, another request will be to save all the newly created security data in the vault of your choice. As I have recently became a new user of 1Password, this is also one functionality on both mobile and desktop devices that has eluded me which at times is very useful when time constrained.

• Dave_1P
    edited April 17
    Options

@Brobson

Welcome to 1Password! Have you already setup autofill for Android? You can find our guide here: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your Android device

Once autofill is setup and you need to generate a new password for a website, you can follow these steps:

1. Tap the username or password field, then tap Open 1Password or the 1Password icon.
    2. Tap New Login, then enter a username.
    3. Tap the password field and tap Create a New Password. Adjust the settings to choose the right password according to your needs, then tap Use.
    4. Tap Save & Fill when you’re finished.

Your password will be saved in 1Password and filled into the website. Is this process not working? Let me know if I misunderstood the situation.

-Dave

• Brobson
    Brobson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave and thanks for the reply/instructions. I am an IOS and OS user. All settings have been configured according to the instructions in this community and on the 1Password site. Selecting the 1Password icon in the password space generates a password yes, but does not allow for any other modifications to choosing or selecting other parameters. Certainly selecting the recommended password and continuing on with the sign in, which stores the site and security data in the vault, is at present the only option. To change it to meet personal preferences, going back into the app, selecting the site and changing the password is also workable yet not preferred.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Brobson

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, you posted in a thread for 1Password for Android. I've split your comments into a new separate thread in our iOS category.

It sounds like you're referring to using 1Password in Safari on your iPhone or iPad, is that correct? If it is then you can generate a password by following these steps:

1. Tap the AA icon in Safari's address bar.
    2. Tap on 1Password.
    3. Tap on the menu icon in the pop-up and then tap Password Generator.

You can read more about using the custom password generator in 1Password for Safari here: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

If you're trying to generate a new password from inside of a different app, or a different browser than Safari, then let me know. 🙂

-Dave