compromised website - IOS notifications -- notification disappeared

Options
dzinn
dzinn
Community Member

Hi, I just received a notification on my iphone that said a website -- 192.168.0.1 (evidently this is my router -- which even worried me more...) was comprised -- did I want to change my password, etc. I wanted to check it out & when I went back to notification centre, I couldn't find the notice.... I had done a printscreen when it had popped up -- so that is how I know the website..... But I wanted to make sure this wasn't a hoax... as I hadn't gotten this type of notification from 1password before....I then signed in on my Macbook (that I am using now) and remembered about Watchtower..... I went into all my Vaults & there was no mention of a compromised site..... So i don't know if this WAS a hoax or a genuine notification from 1password. BTW on my iPhone under notifications 1password does not come up (in order to turn notifications on or off) as the other apps on my phone do... the same with Notifications on my Macbook -- 1password doesn't show up under Notifications. Now I'm totally confused. I'm using my Macbook now as it is easier for me to type.... Was using an iPhone 12 Pro Max with IOS 17.4.1 -- and the 1password app is up to date.... On my Macbook, I'm using 1Password for Mac 8.10.28 (81028034)

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 17.4.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @dzinn! 👋

Thanks for reaching out, the team and I are here to help you figure this out. Are you able to post the screenshot that you took here so that I can take a look? My suspicion is that the notification came from iCloud Keychain (which means that you might be storing some passwords there) and not 1Password. The screenshot would help me to confirm this. If you can't post the screenshot then can you check the following:

1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app.
    2. Tap Passwords.
    3. Tap Security Recommendations.

Do you see a notice that resembles that one that you saw? If you do then this means that you're storing an extra copy of your router password in iCloud Keychain. I would recommend that you save it in 1Password and then remove it from iCloud Keychain.

If you don't see the notice there then let me know more about what the notification said (and post that screenshot if possible) and I can help more.

-Dave

• dzinn
    dzinn
    Community Member
    Options

• dzinn
    dzinn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes, looking at my iPhone (and the attached screenshot) -- the 'logo' does look like iCloud Keychain..... (Do you think it looks a lot like the 1PW logo?? -- that could be confusing...??)

I looked thru the settings on my iPhone and do see that I have iCloud Paswords & Keychain turned ON, but I couldn't find Security Recommendations.

Will try again in a minute & look at my iCloud online via my MacBook.... bur wanted to send the screenshot.

Also, if the (disappearing -- where did it go & how would they expect someone to find it again?? it wasn't in Notification Centre -- of course, I guess that is an Apple issue -- but now that you pointed this out, I can try to find it that way -- just for curiosity (and security) sake...)

If the message is from iCloud Keychain -- would one expect 1PW/Watchtower to have found the same breach, security issue?

I think I only used the Router setup a few years ago when I changed ISPs, I think...... so not even sure how to change the PW there.... Maybe i should call my ISP as if there has been a Router security breach -- it might affect them/all their customers??? (And be an important security issue for them??).

Will try to see what is in iCloud Keychain, how it compares to 1PW & likely turn it off..... (another learning curve!!)

Thank you so much for helping with this.

Will let you know what happens -- as could affect your other Apple-based customers.

• dzinn
    dzinn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again,

This article told me where to find iCloud Keychain on my Macbook & I found the security issue under my Settings/Password (I had been looking for 1Password & that didn't come up -- of course...)

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/12/29/how-to-use-icloud-keychain-apples-built-in-and-free-password-manager

So I found the message that disappeared..... but when I clicked change Password on Website & clicked the link I got the message below...

Now, of course, even more confused..... or maybe it is for an OLD router that I had -- not my current one. I still haven't called my ISP yet -- but I might need to....

"Unable to connect

An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.0.1.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web."

Any thoughts???

Your first Reply allowed me to at least find out where the message was from.... a step in the right direction!!

Thanks you.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@dzinn

I'm happy that you were able to confirm that the notification came from iCloud Keychain and not 1Password. I recommend that you make sure that accurate information for your router is stored in 1Password and then remove the entry from iCloud Keychain. Once you've migrated all items from iCloud Keychain to 1Password you can turn off Keychain on your device by following the steps in this guide on each device:

It sounds like you might have an easy-to-guess password for your router stored in iCloud Keychain, if the same password is currently saved in 1Password and is being used for your router then you can use 1Password to generate a secure password: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

For questions about iCloud Keychain or your router, I recommend reaching out to the support teams of those services since they'll be in the best position to assist. Let me know if you have any questions about 1Password and I would be happy to help further. 🙂

-Dave

• dzinn
    dzinn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help -- much appreciated!

• Dave_1P
    Options

It's my pleasure. 🙂

-Dave

• DavidT123
    DavidT123
    Community Member
    Options

I just had the same issue found this thread .It relieved me to know it was not actually a compromised password but did not find this answer until after already resetting my password any way. Well probably was not a bad ideal to change that password anyway . So was the icloud keychain as explained above . I was just in a hurry to get that password changed so did not search first :D

• Dave_1P
    edited April 22
    Options

@DavidT123

I'm happy that the information in this thread helped you as well. I recommend that you make sure that you see all of your passwords and other items in 1Password and then remove your entries from iCloud Keychain so that you're not storing the same logins in two different password managers at the same time:

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave