m1 mac 1password desktop app does not stay unlocked when hide menu bar icon

Options
user053
user053
Community Member
edited August 2023 in Mac

If I uncheck "keep 1password in the menu bar", then every time I close the 1password desktop app window it will auto lock itself. The setting is in the screenshot.

This affects the firefox extension because it cannot unlock the desktop app once the integrate with app is checked, it will ask to unlock the 1password desktop app every time I click the icon but after unlocking it won't show password selection pop up window, instead, it will ask again to unlock the desktop app

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009046)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.5 (22G74)
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello @user053! 👋

I'm sorry for the confusion. If you'd like 1Password to stay running, and unlocked, in the background then you'll need to turn the menu bar icon on. If the menu bar icon is turned off then 1Password will lock itself and close all running processes.

This affects the firefox extension because it cannot unlock the desktop app once the integrate with app is checked, it will ask to unlock the 1password desktop app every time I click the icon but after unlocking it won't show password selection pop up window, instead, it will ask again to unlock the desktop app

If you turn the menu bar icon on then do things work correctly? And can you tell me if you're using Touch ID or Apple Watch unlock? Or do you always unlock 1Password using your account password?

-Dave

ref: 35030119
    ref: dev/core/core#11440

• user053
    user053
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thanks for the reply Dave. Here's the recording of what happens https://youtu.be/HwP8PNujiiA when I hide menu bar icon and check integrate with app. (It happens with/without private browsing, I just used that for recording )

It only happens when I unlock with password. If I unlock with apple watch then it won't go to this unlock loop.

• @user053

Thank you for the clarification and for the screen recording. I can confirm that our developers are aware of the issue and are investigating. For now, there are a few workarounds:

1. Keep the menu bar icon turned on so that 1Password always stays running in the background. I recommend this option for the best experience.
    2. Open and unlock the 1Password app from the Applications folder and keep the main window open in the background when using 1Password in the browser.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully this can be fixed soon with a future update.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22007

• Dave_1P
    edited January 23
    Options

@user053

I hope that you're doing well! Our developers have incorporated improvements to the unlocking process with the latest update to 1Password that should resolve the issue that you reported here. Can you update to the latest version (8.10.24) and try to reproduce the issue again:

If you still see the issue after updating and restarting 1Password then please let me know.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22007

• amaridev
    amaridev
    Community Member
    edited April 19
    Options

I have the problem as well, even with the latest beta version. It is really annoying to unlock every time I want to access 1Password.

I also can understand that you think having the menu icon enabled provides the best experience. But if every app developer thinks this way, I have 40 icons open in the menu bar.
    And since Apple gifted us, with this beautiful notch, this causes important icons to disappear if too many icons are shown.
    For power users with many applications in use, this is just not feasible to have an icon shown which doesn't provide any visual informational benefit to me.

Looking forward and hoping you will be able to fix it. :)

Also wanted to add, I usually prefer to use the keyboard shortcut for the quick search...which doesn't open when the application closed in the background. I have no need for the icon to click on it.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@amaridev

Thank you for reaching out. The menu bar icon is how 1Password signals to a user that it is open in the background and unlocked. Unlike other apps on your Mac, it's important to know when 1Password is running in the background (and unlocked) since it contains so much important personal information.

However you can turn off the menu bar icon and keep 1Password running by opening the main window and then right-clicking on 1Password in the Dock and clicking Hide. Then you'll be able to be aware that 1Password is running by seeing the black active dot underneath the 1Password icon in the Dock.

I have the problem as well, even with the latest beta version.

Can you clarify the issue that you're seeing a little more? Are you just saying that you see 1Password completely close when the menu bar icon is turned off and you close the main window (which is expected and not a bug)? Or are you seeing the issue that the original poster reported where you're unable to unlock 1Password in Firefox when the menu bar icon is turned off?

-Dave