Trouble authenticating 1Password on Android

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Various issues on Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra.

Comments

• doodad
    doodad
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't come around to properly report and send diagnostics yet, but I'm having the same problem with that exact same version with a brand new S24 Ultra. And I don't use NordVPN. I do have a Pihole with a pretty aggressive list of blocked domains. Don't know if it's relevant.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@doodad

I'm sorry that you're also running into issues. The original poster mentioned three different problems that they had run into, can you tell me a little more about the specific problem that you're running into on your device?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• doodad
    doodad
    Community Member
    edited April 19
    Options

@Dave_1P You're right, that was my bad. Thanks for the patience in your answer. We're on the internet so I'm used to start getting snark from that one mistake already. (and yeah, I know it's a business support, and it's your job, and etc, but it doesn't mean you don't deserve the gratitude anyway)

Specifically what happens to me is that I config 1password to unlock with the biometric (and to auto-lock immediately on losing focus) and it works for a while, but then some hours later when I open the app for whatever reason instead of asking me for my fingerprint it says "That didn't work. Check your password and try again."

I then have to insert my master password to open the app, after which it immediately asks me for my second factor. It used to be an OTP but since I'm now on Android 14, I changed it to a passkey.

It doesn't seem to allow me to skip it with a passkey but when it was an OTP it had the option to set it later and if I did that it would revert to the old 1password local vault days of yore and would disable any online function/sync.

If I, before, inserted the OTP, or now that I changed it to passkey, put my fingerprint for the passkey API, then a message pops up saying "1password was unable to save your two-factor token". With a "Learn more" button that doesn't do anything when tapped.

And as soon as it locks again, same thing over and over. Sometimes restarting the phone fix the problem temporarily, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I usually have to clear data and cache and setup the device again for it to work again.

That's the problem I was referring to, sorry I wasn't clear enough before.

EDIT: Tried turning off the two-factor authentication to see what consequences that would have. It did do away, obviously, with 1password asking for the second factor after I input my master password, and with the subsequent message that it couldn't save the token. But it still says "That didn't work" everytime I open the app.

My guess is whatever Android and/or Samsung security API it uses to "store" the "password" behind the phone's biometrics so we don't have to type it everytime is having problems (or 1password is having problems with them), so it has no option but to ask for my master password manually.

• doodad
    doodad
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Somehow when I was trying to edit my comment to fix a typo it seemed to delete it. Fortunately I had a bad feeling about it and copied it to the clipboard before refreshing the page to check. Below is my previous comment. If it somehow wasn't deleted and I'm double posting, I'm very sorry, it disappeared in my browser after I refresh.

--- original ---

@Dave_1P You're right, that was my bad. Thanks for the patience in your answer. We're on the internet so I'm used to start getting snark from that one mistake already. (and yeah, I know it's a business support, and it's your job, and etc, but it doesn't mean you don't deserve the gratitude anyway)

Specifically what happens to me is that I config 1password to unlock with the biometric (and to auto-lock immediately on losing focus) and it works for a while, but then some hours later when I open the app for whatever reason instead of asking me for my fingerprint it says "That didn't work. Check your password and try again."

I then have to insert my master password to open the app, after which it immediately asks me for my second factor. It used to be an OTP but since I'm now on Android 14, I changed it to a passkey.

It doesn't seem to allow me to skip it with a passkey but when it was an OTP it had the option to set it later and if I did that it would revert to the old 1password local vault days of yore and would disable any online function/sync.

If I, before, inserted the OTP, or now that I changed it to passkey, put my fingerprint for the passkey API, then a message pops up saying "1password was unable to save your two-factor token". With a "Learn more" button that doesn't do anything when tapped.

And as soon as it locks again, same thing over and over. Sometimes restarting the phone fix the problem temporarily, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I usually have to clear data and cache and setup the device again for it to work again.

That's the problem I was referring to, sorry I wasn't clear enough before.

EDIT: Tried turning off the two-factor authentication to see what consequences that would have. It did do away, obviously, with 1password asking for the second factor after I input my master password, and with the subsequent message that it couldn't save the token. But it still says "That didn't work" everytime I open the app.

My guess is whatever Android and/or Samsung security API it uses to "store" the "password" behind the phone's biometrics so we don't have to type it everytime is having problems (or 1password is having problems with them), so it has no option but to ask for my master password manually.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@doodad

Thank you for the detailed description of the issue. That definitely doesn't sound right and, so that I can investigate this further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave